IGNORED

15" Track Wheel Suggestions?

SandyI

• 2 weeks later...

I looked all over without much luck. I ended up finding mine on ebay, at least the price was right, they look good and perform well on a road course and autoxing too. I went with the 15x8 with Toyo R888's for road racing and I use 13x10 with Hoosier race slicks for autoxing.

I think he is looking for wheel recommendations, not tires. I am not an expert, but I think the ultra light Panasports are pretty common for racing Zs. You should PM Greg Ira (member name gira) and ask what he recommends, in case he doesn't see this.

-Mike

I run 15x7 Konig Rewinds... they are light... cheap... and I run 225-50-15 Toyo PX4's on them. They are a 0 offset so with that tire size I do not get ant fender scrub,

Seems like the Konigs could be exactly what I'm looking for with that offset for my Z. Thanks for the tip.

I've heard third-hand reports that Rewinds occasionally crack under the stress of track use. Can't confirm that first hand, though.

And probably not an issue at all for street or auto-x use.

I was looking at the Panasports too. There is a gigantic price difference between the Konigs and the Panasports. And while I'd love to save the $$$, are the Panasports that much a higher quality wheel?

...are the Panasports that much a higher quality wheel?
IMO, yes.

As I noted, for typical street use with perhaps an occasional auto-x or two, Konigs should do just fine. But for dedicated track use, I'd look for a more track-oriented wheel.

Panasports or Enkie's. I use both and the Panasport is a little lighter. You can find them on ebay or some of the racing sites at a reasonable price. IIRC, I bought 4 15" panasports, used, from another racer for $400

BTW, I hate the Toyo's even though others like them. I did not have mine shaved and use them only for rain tires. Under dry conditions the tread squirm was more than I liked and they were not nearly as sticky as the Hoosiers. Check with your local racers for used Hoosiers. You can usually get those at a bargain and they should last 1 or 2 track days, or maybe even more.

Edited by rxsleeper

Konigs crack, Panasports crack, Revolutions crack. Any wheel used on a road race track needs to be inspected regularly for cracks and damage.

Diamond racing steel wheels work well and are cheap. They are also not much heavier (if at all) then the Konigs.