IGNORED

FOUND - the American Racing LeMans Wheel

Carl Beck

Hi Gang:

As many of you know, I needed a 5th American Racing LeMans mag. wheel to mount the spare tire on, for the BRE Baja Z. A fact mentioned in the Classic Motorsports Magazine article last Sept.. Seems I've been looking forever !!

Thanks to Les at Classic Datsun Motorsports - I now have it. Just wanted to let everyone know, as many of you have contacted me with possible leads.... so the search is over.

Thanks to everyone for your on-going support..

Carl B.

post-3609-14150806194693_thumb.jpg

Glad you found one Carl, but is the search over? While reading this thread, the images of other rally Zs were brought to mind. They carried two onboard spares strapped under the hatch. Not that I've ever seen one in person, but even the model kits picture two spares. Was the Baja Z equipped with only one onboard spare tire for the Baja 1000 Off Road Race?

Glad you found one Carl, but is the search over? While reading this thread, the images of other rally Zs were brought to mind. They carried two onboard spares strapped under the hatch. Not that I've ever seen one in person, but even the model kits picture two spares. Was the Baja Z equipped with only one onboard spare tire for the Baja 1000 Off Road Race?

Man, that's just cruel...

Hi Guys:

Thanks...

Craig: I have the American Racing Libra's on two of my Z's. Originally the center caps were made of metal and they had a huge cup shaped washer that went into the back of the wheel - then the center caps were screw on to it from behind. Later the center caps were made of plastic and snapped in from the outside.

I used to get the center caps from Terry Vaughn (sp?) aka Torque-Thrust Terry on E-Bay. They were the newer plastic snap on type, but he used to supply them with the correct period decals.. the caps with the decals were about $11.00 each. I don't know what has happened to him.... Ron is correct, in that the competition cars didn't run with center caps - but the Le Mans street wheels used the same center caps as the Libra's.

Ron - The BRE Baja Z ran with only one spare, plus a tool box, jack and what looks like an old A.F. flight bag with PETE BROCK printed on it. The tool box is the old metal Craftsman type, and I just happen to have one that is already old and beat-up.... I knew I was keeping that for the last 20 years for some reason!!

Bigoak - you have to be at least one wheel short - to get yourself into something like this to begin with!!LOL

later,

Carl B.

post-3609-14150806196543_thumb.jpg