Headers more noisy??? - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Headers more noisy???

Featured Replies

I just want to know if the addition of headers on my engine will render the car more noisy (I mean a lot ) or is it just a nice mellow tone???

Thanks!:tapemouth

The noise level mostly depends on the rest of the exhaust system.... The headers will increase the level some....

Even the diameter of the exhaust pipe makes a differance. If you use 2 1/2 vs 2 1/4. If you do get headers do yourself a favor and spend the extra bucks and get the "Jet Hot coating". It's worth the money! It preserves the pipes (from rust) and allways looks good.

I just want to know if the addition of headers on my engine will render the car more noisy (I mean a lot ) or is it just a nice mellow tone???

If you took off the muffler and just compared noise between the stock manifold and aftermarket, the sound might be different.. but, probably not that much. *IF* you can stand the noise (put on some earmuffs)!!

Now, if you went with headers I'm assuming you'll go with either a 2.25" or 2.5" exhaust. And, you'll also need a muffler to go with that.

I had a 6-to-1 header, 2.5" exhaust, and a turbo-style muffler. The sound was incredible. Louder than stock? Yes. Nice mellow tone? Hmm... Let's just say I loved to listen to her idle.

People say that 2.25" exhaust and a very nice muffler are the best way to go. I agree about the very nice muffler, but, I really liked my 2.5" exhaust. Of course I haven't compared two side by side (and reported my findings), but, I was completely happy with my 2.5"

It wasn't too loud.

  • Author

OK, I got a 6 into 2 header (do not know the brand????) and a complete 2.5in exhaust line and no resonator, but a Turbo muffler at the rear end.

The header is not installed yet, as I'm thinking of hibernation... Yes, guys, it's coming slowly but surely... Sad, isn't it???:sick:

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.