IGNORED

Plastic welders

ajmcforester

Has anyone tried a plastic welder? I am thinking about getting one to repair hairline cracks in the plastic panels. I was thinking that they would work like when welding cracks in metal and stop them from expanding by welding a little past the crack. I want to get some input from someone that has used them since I don't know anyone that has used one.

I hadn't heard of plastic welding until I read your post. A quick Google search brought up a wealth on information - especially at:

http://forum.doityourself.com/welding-metalworking/164855-plastic-welding.html

I'll be interested in reading what forum members have experienced. The HF tool seem cheap enough to experiment with a bit.

Dennis

I've tried it a few times to repair the front bumper cover on my 350Z after track "incidents." There's a knack to it and as Steve posted above there are a lot of different plastics requiring different filler and technique. Its not hard to do, but you have to read and follow the instructions that come with the kit.

Practice on scrap first. It does not leave a clean repair so finish work is required.

using the right "rod" is the key. Wrong rods will work, but then the material may be too hard or soft, and the finishing makes more work because of the differences in abrasion.

For hairline cracks in the rigid panels, I use Epoxy on the back, or super glue in the crack, stabilize(stop the flexing) the panel and give the pretty side a coat of SEM Landau black.

Will

I was planning to lay some fiber cloth with resin on back side of areas that crack from stress like the sections between the side window and the door, but if the welder would work well I'd repair the plastic first to make it even stronger. The other reason I wanted to check on a Z based website is to find out what peoples' experience have been on the older plastics that you would find on a 240-280z. Also some input on what plastic rods work since that makes a big difference on how it will turn out.

I noticed one kit that a lot of high end tool companies (Snap-on, Matco . . .) sell, also Northern and Eastwood with a instructional DVD and books. A nice looking kit hear some web site with it.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_384313_384313

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=16676&itemType=PRODUCT

http://www.smarter.com/other-home-garden/urethane-supply-co-mini-weld-model-6-airless-plastic-welder-model-5600ht/pd--ch-32--pi-4399583.html

I hadn't heard of plastic welding until I read your post. A quick Google search brought up a wealth on information - especially at:

http://forum.doityourself.com/welding-metalworking/164855-plastic-welding.html

I'll be interested in reading what forum members have experienced. The HF tool seem cheap enough to experiment with a bit.

Dennis

Believe it or not the best thing to use on the interior plastic for our z cars is Oatey's black ABS cement. It the same cement used to weld ABS drain pipes. The interior plastic panels in the z cars is made from ABS. ABS cement will literally weld any cracks or broken pieces together.

I've also used ABS cement to fabricate small pieces that have broken off, such as the stubs for screw points. I swear, the stuff works great. The welded seams become stronger than the surrounding plastic.

Check the website www.MP3car.com. They have lots of info on the subject, plus lots of mods done to dash panels that look like they were OEM.

Use the ABS cement, then scuff the backside and apply your fiberglass patch. That's the best way to, first, secure and seal the existing crack and, second, prevent it from ever starting to come apart again.

You can use a crayon to fill in whatever vestige of a crack remains on the show surface:

1. trace crack with crayon,

2. heat with a hair dryer to melt wax,

3. allow to cool,

4. wipe off any excess.

Eventually, Nissan figured out that the interior panels had to be thicker and they made the switch.

What about the plastic fan shrouds on the Z's? I have one I am trying to modify and can't find anything that will touch it. ABS glue will not even touch the plastic the shrouds made of. I need a filler that will stick.

What year Z and do you know what the plastic is if it's Not ABS plastic ABS glue won't work. From what I can find out about welding and know about gluing parts you need to know what type of plastic. I've seen a chart if I can find it that tells you how to test to see what plastic you have.

These are made of either mineral-filled polypropylene (PP) or glass/mineral-filled nylon 66. If it's PP, there's no glue that will adhere unless you etch the surface with a corona discharge (not in anyone's tool kit). If it's nylon, you should be able to get an epoxy to stick. Thus, it sounds like it's PP. You will have to weld this or fabricate a plastic strap to bridge the crack and screw it into the shroud.