IGNORED

Pantera look a like Rear Lid

zcarmann

Got-a do something different so take something, an a lot of different things, be creative try and make something cool out of it. Like I said I bought the car altered so I just keep changing it. I have owned 6 of the 240's 1-260 and 1-280 ( 2 seat ) coupes.

I have had my share of them and this is the first one to go custom, different, a work in

Progress. Everyone has to have a hobby.

I am actually very familiar with that picture and in fact I have been there a couple of times. The car with the Pantera rear hatch was sold some time ago, I asked the guy and he really didn't know where the hatch came from since it was on the car when he got it. Most of the cars in that picture are gone now. The guy that owns the property went through a z car collection period but doesn't want them anymore. He has one interesting shell which has been sitting outside for years that he is selling for a few thousand dollars... It is a 1969 240z with a VIN that is something like 00045 (it was a few months ago so I might be off slightly, but within 10). I actually saw it with my own eyes. It's real. If I go back over there to pick some more parts, is anyone interested in a picture of it? It's truly nothing more than a very dirty shell (but no rust since it's in California). It would be one heck of a project, but an amazing item to have when completed.

I talked with him about the 1969 and he wanted something like $5k for it!!! I couldn't believe it...he's got some really good drugs in his system.

Yeah, the price for the shell is high. He's a surprisingly smart guy, and extraordinarily successful in business. I suspect he understands the difference between what he wants and what he can get. Did you offer him a lower amount? He told me that I could pretty much have it if I used parts from his donor cars and did the work at his shop so he could be involved. (btw the state of the art shop in his back yard is so big there is an airplane hanging in it and I didn't notice it until he pointed it out...) His thought on that car is if someone bought it for 5K, had some serious skills, and put another 20k into it, they would have a result worth more than 25k. I don't know about you, but I have about twice as much money invested in my "restoration" then the car worth. So breaking even or possibly ahead isn't so bad. Let the car rest for a few years and your going to have a real winner. I'm not the guys bodyguard, and he doesn't need me to look out for him. But that's what "he" is thinking... Right or wrong is your personal opinion. But he really isn't on drugs, he just knows that in the right hands, the shell has some serious value.

Its on Craigslist for $8000 in LA. If the listing expires, he's also got some pictures elsewhere. Additionally, he's got some technical info about it on HybridZ.

Seems like a neat car. The Pantera backend looks pretty nice.

I actually dig it in that color. However, the rest of the car is another matter. What's up with those fenders? It's got an odd front clip too. Overall, I'd pass.

Ooooh. Looking closer, he's modified the hood and fenders to swing open all together. This probably necessitates the different front clip. Neat, but no thank you.

Edited by JonnyRock

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys

I had no idea that there is interest in the pantera style hatch for the z car. Many years ago I bought the original Hatch mold for the Pantera rear hatch and i have never made any. But if there was some interest I would be willing to blow the dust off the mold and do up some high quality rear decks and provide rubber and mounting brackets all built in. The price due to the style of part and work to create the window etc would be $450 plus shipping.

Les

I have decided not to make the change as you end up with NO hatch area and I

need someplace other then the front seat for my golf clubs and they fit great in the hatch as is. So she is headed for a 3 month visit to the body & paint shop for a face lift.

• 9 months later...

I own that particular yellow pantara hatch, I bought it from the Calif. guy last winter 300.00 plus shipping. there is no cutting required to install,straight bolt on.So I can run either hatch at any time .I like the way it looks on my 250GTO conversion.

• 3 weeks later...

There is one for sale locally in Colorado. I don't know the seller.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1509700583.html

Custom fiberglass rear hatch/deck for a Datsun or Nissan, likely only fits ZX, but possibly for a 240Z 260Z or 280z. Has a vertical window and a flat surface. Provides good security for any items under the deck lid as they are no longer visible. Gives a fully custom look as they are rare and no longer being manufactured. Has no push button, but has the electric lock mechanism. No button or wiring, just the electric lock. Glossy clear coat black with black tinted window. Similar to photos. I can obtain a photo of my specific part for anyone who is SERIOUSLY interested as I will have to pull this out the attic.

There is no "deck" wing included. The wing bolts onto the body rather than the deck. This is ready to bolt in place of the stock rear hatch.

I have had this for at least 12 years, and it has been stored in the attic of my garage nearly the entire time. Was last on a car about 10 years ago for a short time.

$1,500 firm.