IGNORED

Automatic antenna in an S30

TomoHawk

As an alternative to the pricey oem-style power antenna, I figured out a switch wiring setup to operate a newer automatic antenna (it goes when the radio is turned on, and down then the radio is turned off) to work using the wiring available in a 280Z.

Below is the switch diagram I figure to use, which requires a DPDT, center-off momentary toggle switch and two of the three wires. The red wire is the main power wire to the antenna, and the blue wire goes to the radio's power antenna connection. Ground on the antenna goes to the chassis of course.

I will figure out a relay setup using two wires and the factory antenna switch ( SPDT center-off momentary.)

thxZ

post-2169-14150804929685_thumb.jpg

You still kicking that idea around? I've had my fully automatic antenna in my 78 and working since 1998. I used the blue wire from my aftermarket radio connected to the plug for stock antenna for the switched lead and ran a unswiched 12 V to the other. I used the plug from the old antenna on that end and the plug from the old antenna switch on the other end. It's completely reversible if I ever want go back to stock as I still have a working original antenna and radio amongst my spares.

I'm in no rush to finish the car. I do things as they come around or as I am inspired. I'd rather rebuild the factor unit, but I can put this new one in temporarily.

I know you can hook it up to function like it was designed to (go up with the radio on) but I like to keep most things period looking or functioning, so I wanted the antenna to go up only when I wanted it to. The only thing I can't fix is the exposed tip, which has a flush look to it.

I usually keep it down any way.

Edited by TomoHawk

Hey Stephen, could you possibly explain how you set your antenna up again - My brain isn't working tonight and i'm looking at the FSM. It looks like the antenna motor is just a reversible motor - switch polarity and it goes up/down. Could you provide wiring schematics or let me know what color wires you spliced/replaced? I'm looking at removing the antenna switch altogether. Thanks!

P.S. I appreciate all your threads!

-Aaron

newly acquired '78 280z L28

Ah - so then i'd have to replace the antenna unit if I wanted it to function automatically with my new stereo, more than likely.

Actually, If the new stereo simply provides a low current signal through the blue wire, I could just set up a relay system somehow....

Edited by aronlove

Ah - so then i'd have to replace the antenna unit if I wanted it to function automatically with my new stereo, more than likely.

Actually, If the new stereo simply provides a low current signal through the blue wire, I could just set up a relay system somehow....

The problem with that is that the stock antenna raises or lowers and sort of 'idles' until you release the button based on a switched 12v signal and an a reversed but still switched 12v signal. A fully automatic stops itself when it reaches full retraction or extension based on constant 12v and switched 12v. The 'blue wire' only provides the switched 12v. Getting both signals runs it up and getting only the constant 12v runs it down. The setup it would take to make the stock antenna work off the blue wire from a modern unit would be rather elaborate and would not only include relays but some type of timer(s) as well. Seem like a lot of research and fabrication when you could just switch to the modern antenna or just use the stock one with the optional console switch.

I wondeered about that too, but I haven't seen one or any kind of replacement bezel/nut either. The newer ones look like they're designed to go on a flat, horizontal surface, which is quite different from the stock location on an S30.

I've got a Sony deck in my 240Z, and the stock antennea goes up when the unit is powered on, and goes down when the unit is powered off. If I turn the car off with the radio on, then the antennea stays up, but goes down part way and back up when I start the car again. FWIW, I didn't do anything special, but hook up the unit to the existing wiring to make this happen...

• 9 months later...