IGNORED

Mary's Peak, Take 2 - Sept. 2008

Arne

I've been looking forward to this event, ever since I missed it last year. (I was rebuilding my transmission at this time last year.) Datsuns NW once again held a cruise and BBQ outside Corvallis. They meet at a rural park, drive from there to another park at the top of Mary's Peak (highest point in the Oregon Coast Range), and then back to the first park for a BBQ. Last year's event sounded fun, so I wanted to try to go this year.

On Saturday morning a7dz and I headed up the back roads to Corvallis, and then on to Fort Hoskins Park. That in and of itself was a pleasant drive. There we met up with a group of Datsuns from Salem and farther North. It was a well attended event, with a good mix of vintage Datsuns. Unlike many events from the two NW Oregon Datsun clubs, this one was a bit lighter on 510s and pickups than most, with a higher than normal percentage of Zs and Roadsters.

After a while, people started breaking into small groups and leaving for the 25 mile run to Mary's Peak. The first miscue was when one of our fellow CZCC members hit a deer on his way out of the first park. No real damage (a bent license plate) thanks to low speed and 280Z bumpers! Then there was a small problem with the maps provided, they directed everyone on to a gravel road that was gated at the far end. Oops! Luckily, most of us figured that out in short order and took the paved roads instead. Said roads were all reasonably well-paved, pleasantly curvy, and had relatively light traffic this weekend. A good time, even for those of us not willing to drive as hard as some of the group does.

After photos and chit-chat at the top, we all drove back to Fort Hoskins, where the club barbequed ribs and burgers for all of us. Finally around mid-afternoon, the group began to break up and trickle back home. The drive home (back roads again) was also quite pleasant. A very good day.

I posted some pictures here:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3524

More pictures are welcome. Mike, Gary, Kyle? One of you must have taken some pics?

DSC_0489.jpg

Arne,

Good job with the pictures......

The map thing was pretty funny. Mapquest or who ever, did what they do. They laid out the shortest route from A to B. The fact that the shortest route went through the Corvallis watershed, was gravel and was gated to motor vehicle traffic, had no bearing on it being anything other than the shortest route from A to B. Some times we have to be smarter than the 'puter.