IGNORED

Won't go into gear

Cutlass372

Hey everyone, I recently replaced the tranny in my 240z and I cant seem to get it into gear. The tranny shifts fine with the car off, but once I turn it on I can't enter any gear and reverse grinds. I replaced the Slave cylinder, but I wasn't quite sure exactly where it needs to be adjusted (gravity bled it cause I didnt have another person). The car doesn't seem to have much if any pedal pressure, and looking at the clutch master cylinder from in the car there seems to be a little bit of fluid coming from the stopper. I recently filled the front resevoir of the brake master cylinder and now its competely empty. Would this cause a lack in pedal pressure? What are your thoughts? I am thinking about replacing the Clutch Master and the Master cylinder, but what do you think? Any help would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks, Elliot.

You assuredly need an extra leg on that clutch when bleeding the master.... same with the brakes. Gravity will help, but won't totally remove air.

It sounds like you've got a lot of air in your clutch, but why your brake reservoir is going down (in relation to clutch issues) is another subject.

Frank

You might want to consider investing in a vacuum pump. Great gadget, runs about $50.

Let's you bleed a hydraulic system solo, just need to refill the reservoir as you pump fluid out from the bleeder screw. Pump out the same volume you put in plus 25% and you're golden.

Hey everyone, I recently replaced the tranny in my 240z and I cant seem to get it into gear. The tranny shifts fine with the car off, but once I turn it on I can't enter any gear and reverse grinds.

Hi Elliot:

We need more specific information - - what year/type transmission did you replace - and what year/type transmission did you install?

What if anything did you use or change related to the clutch pressure plate, the throw-out bearing sleeves between the two transmission?

Tell us exactly - in what order - did you do. Sounds like you may have the wrong throw-out bearing sleeve on the tranny you installed...

If the clutch was working before you swapped the tranny - it should still be working after.

FWIW,

Carl B.

The tranny that I replaced mine with is I believe a stock 72 4 speed tranny, the same year as my car. The clutch was working before I swapped, but not properly. I was able to get the car into gear but I really needed to force it and finally first and second would no longer engage. I could move the shifter into the gears but it was almost like they weren't there. It would sorta click into the gears spot but do nothing. I dont believe that I installed the throw-out bearing incorrectly as I never took it apart. There was really only one logical way to put it back together so thats what I did. All of the clutch components are how they were prior to the swap so none of that has changed. All I did basically was swap the old tranny out for this other one and replaced the slave cylinder. So im thinking either the slave isnt adjusted right (I think its in pretty much the same place it was, but where should it be set?), I need a new clutch master cylinder, or I just need to bleed the slave some more.

I dont believe that I installed the throw-out bearing incorrectly as I never took it apart. There was really only one logical way to put it back together so thats what I did. All of the clutch components are how they were prior to the swap so none of that has changed. All I did basically was swap the old tranny out for this other one and replaced the slave cylinder.

If you didn't remove the throw-out bearing, and throw-out bearing sleeve from your old transmission and either put them on the new transmission, or at least compared the length of the throw-out bearing sleeves to assure that they were "exactly" the same length - - - - then it is possible that the throw-out bearing sleeve on the transmission you installed is the wrong one for your existing clutch assembly. (you have no way of knowing what clutch assembly that transmission was mated with, when in the car it came out of)

By all means try making sure your clutch master/slave are functioning properly first - it can't hurt. But - with the clutch slave extending as it should, when you push the pedal down - if you still can't get the clutch to disengage you might have the wrong length throw-out bearing sleeve ...

good luck,

Carl B.

What do you mean by sleeve? The throw-out bearing is connected to some sort type of hub deal? Is that the sleeve? I did use the same throw-out bearing assembly ( the whole part that connects to the clutch fork, but there was no sleeve that I saw. I dont think that thats the issue though. It doesn't feel like I have any pedal pressure. Although, at the slave cylinder when I push the clutch fork in (towards the front of the car) there is definatly pressure there. About how far do I want the slave cylinder rod to pludge into the cylinder itself? How much play should it have? I think today I might try and bleed the slave some more and see what happens.

So I checked the linkage at the pedal and thats what it was. Im not sure if I have everything completly correct yet, but the car does go into gear and drive much better. I think the slave might need some slight adjustments because I think the throw-out bearing might be tapping slightly. I wanna take the car down to Z speed auto in NJ and see if they can get the car tuned up real nice for me.

You can't adjust the slave unless you have one of the earlier ones with an adjustable push rod. I'm not sure what you mean by 'tapping'. If there's any kind of clearance problem with the throw out bearing, there's no adjustment that will fix that.