IGNORED

backspacing....

72240Z

I am thinking of having some 16x6 wheels made up for my Z, a 72 240. It's completely stock now, down to the hubcaps, and the tires are severely limiting with their tall sidewalls. I'm thinking of going to a 216/50/16 tire all the way around, but want to be sure they don't rub anywhere. Can I get your thoughts? What are your experiences?

Devin

You mean 225/50/16 or 205/50/16 don't you? Anyway from all experience here in Australia the only company's that make wheels for Z's are made as a 3 piece rim. They ususally start at $500 a wheel for the cheapest. Does your car have modified suspension? If so, you will have to keep your tire width narrower so that the tyre wall doesn't rub on the spring. I have 86 mdl 300ZX chisel slot wheels on my 240 with adj Koni's and heavy duty springs. With the 15x6 wheels on they had 215/60/15 on originaly and they rubbed on the springs, I had to put a 9mm alloy spacer plate in just to space them far enough away from the springs. With a 205/65/15 I could use a 6mm plate and tommorrow I'm trying a 195/70/15 which will fingers crossed get rid of the spacer plate. Get your wheel company to check your clearance I guess is what I suggest because they can modify off set, hub depth extra if they have your vehicle there to go off. Hope this helps........

Hi all,

on my RB26DETT 240Z I'm using ROH ZS 17x8.5 wheels (they are made in Australia)

I'm running 235/45/17 tyres on them and have no rubbing problems at all. BUT NOTE that I have modified suspension AND have rolled up the inner lips of the rear guards so that they are flat and vertically upwards, but this doesn't change the width of the body externally or the look from outside.

Also it is very important that the offset of the rims are correct to eliminate rubbing problems.

• 2 months later...