IGNORED

240k vert update photos

Guys,

A portable bead blaster (or fine sand) will get it done quickly. I always use this special stuff from the Navy for rust conversion and protection prior to paint too. I'll have a hunt around for it's name. It's not cheap, but it's the best. A straight mix of it burns a hole on concrette.

That $^!# sounds hardcore, are you sure it's not thermite?

on the painting course they suggested using the new type of poly based bogs.. loads easier to sand than the cheap nasty stuff.. i bought a 1L tub of it.. then when i got home i compared the label to the 1.5L tub of Davids P38 i bought from PPC.. they look identical..

so i am expecting the sanding to be magically easy (especially when i make the girlfriend do most of it!.. it's only fair.. she did some of the stripping!).

I am really still aiming for finishing in 2010.. but i am not 100% sure i will make it.. the next year is shaping up to be quite busy already :(

the sooner i can get the GT together and out of the way the sooner i can get onto the bodywork!

Edited by khughes

When your bogging try and do a small areas and then make sure you scrape it flat before it dries. It takes a lot longer to sand bog than it does to scrape it while it's nearly dry. I stuffed this up heaps of times.

When I bog, I use a hacksaw / meal saw blade, to 'scrape' it flat before it dries

Nigel

That $^!# sounds hardcore, are you sure it's not thermite?

When I was a kid (12 -14 ish) my brother and I use to make it, not sure if it the same thing, but it would weld metal together (I was told it was used to join train line tacks together), and very easy to make, aluminium powder and rust powder, and something very hot to light it (oxy)

Nigel

Good work on getting your girlfriend to work with you. I was only able to get my gf to help out once on the car . . . maybe I shouldn't have stuck her in the boot painting 2k primer with dust filters on the mask.:cheeky:

No matter how easy to sand it's still going to be quicker to scrape it first. . . . i think. My bog has settled now and is no longer perfectly flat, It shows up heaps of imperfections and took about 2 months to settle. I bought some finishing bog but it was very hard to sand so i never used it and now have to go over heaps of bits again. Do a bit and spray some shiny paint over it and leave it for a few months to make sure yours doesn't do the same.

Noodle go out and buy a $9.95 scraping tool from supercheap it's gotta be easier than using the hacksaw. My friend and i tried to make thermite when we about 13 after downloaded the jolly roger cookbook from the then brand spanking new internet, as I recall we wasted a whole weekend and a few magnesium strips trying to light it but to no avail.

post-9623-14150804916538_thumb.jpg

Guys,

The Naval Rust convertor/protector is a fluid. When straight, a few drops on concrette burns a small hole in it. You mix it down with water. 20 to 1 is a normal good mix, but you can make it stronger. The problem with a to hot mix is that it starts to burn/oxidise the bare metal black. Properly mixed, it should turn a slight white colour.

I shall ring a mate down in Melbourne that bought a 40 litre container of it recently. Apparently that is the minimum quantity it is sold in. Funny when I have made a litre last a decade so far. (You only need to use it once on a car - The rust doesnot come back)

Thinking about it, they probably don't mess about in the Navy with rust protection. Living in metal tubs in a salt water bath. It's good ship. ;-)

Guys,

The Naval Rust convertor/protector is a fluid. When straight, a few drops on concrette burns a small hole in it. You mix it down with water. 20 to 1 is a normal good mix, but you can make it stronger. The problem with a to hot mix is that it starts to burn/oxidise the bare metal black. Properly mixed, it should turn a slight white colour.

I shall ring a mate down in Melbourne that bought a 40 litre container of it recently. Apparently that is the minimum quantity it is sold in. Funny when I have made a litre last a decade so far. (You only need to use it once on a car - The rust doesnot come back)

Thinking about it, they probably don't mess about in the Navy with rust protection. Living in metal tubs in a salt water bath. It's good ship. ;-)

Sounds like phosphoric acid. It's what is in the the bottles of rust converter that you can get from hardware shops.

The rust converter from the shops doesn't burn holes in concrete though, I just tried it.

Can you paint over the fluid once it goes white?

Thats because its diluted with water. If it was 100% acid it might.

I don't paint over it, I get a wire brush attachment in a grinder and brush off all the white/black crud back to clean bare metal again. If there is still rust I repeat the process. then etch prime and paint.

• 2 weeks later...

Found the name of the company and the rust removing product. They are located in Melbourne and Sydney. You can buy 5 litre minimum. That would last a life time. Unless you a planning a pool party Kent.

I'll keep on the company and as soon as I have a result I shall post all the info. It looks lie about $40-45 for the 5 litre, so I don't think it's worth sharing a single purchase. The problem will be for those that want it transported. Oz Post will not touch the stuff - It must be an acid or dangerous chemical.