IGNORED

New Jersey "QQ" plates

rdefabri

Any of our NJ contingent have success/advice with the historic vehicle registration?

I have made a move to get "QQ" plates for my Z. I know I am limited to going primarily to shows and club meets, but I think NJ is trying to allow up to 1,000 miles of "recreational" use per year. As my Z would probably not come close to that, I am wondering if there are any pros/cons to QQ plates and what others' experiences have been...

If by "QQ" you are referring to Personalized plates, then there shouldn't be any restrictions. Granted NJ is it's own little kingdom so....

However, on the use of "Historic" vehicle, or "Classic" or "Antique" plates, you may find that due to the reduced registration requirements ($, frequency) there may be some specific guidelines they enforce. Could be "fair-weather" or "pleasure" driving ONLY, or to/from car shows (and be prepared to prove it), or some other restrictions. From what I've heard the mileage requirement is rarely if ever checked on (even the insurance companies don't).

But, that's based on what I've heard....

E

Not familiar with NJ requirements, but there may be insurance ramifications as well. I've heard stories of claims being denied because an insured vehicle with 'Historic' registration was damaged while being used outside the 'Historic' approved uses.

So you need to weigh the benefits against the restrictions and possible issues. I don't know what benefits the QQ gives you. Here in Oregon the restrictions for 'Special Interest' or 'Antique' registration are similar to what you outlined. The possible downsides are possible citations if used outside the allowed uses, and the possible insurance issues I mentioned above. The benefits are a one-time cost (never expires), and being able to use period plates. I wanted the period plates, but was not willing to accept the other downsides. Here in Oregon I had another option - I can (and do) have period plates registered as vanity plates instead. It costs me a lot more (especially over time) than the 'Special Interest' registration, but I have no restrictions.

I have "QQ" plates in NJ. While I got them about two years ago, here is what I remember:

1) For our non-New Jersey friends, the "QQ" is the prefix for a personalized historic car plate...car has to be at least 25 years old.

2) While the plates are meant for shows, weekend driving, etc., there is no stated mileage limit.

3) You need classic car insurance in order to get these plates. (I know, it sounds odd, but I guess that's how NJ ensures that you don't drive it very much.)

4) You never need to get the car inspected.

Those are the highlights. The only negative factor I can think of is that you have to go to Trenton in order to obtain them.

Jim

Jim nailed it - sorry for my late response!

It allows you to bypass inspection, and since I have Hagerty on my cars, I can get them. They no longer require you to go to Trenton, you can now mail order, but it takes 6 weeks.

The issue with QQ plates is that you are supposed to only drive the car to shows or club events - neither of which I really do. So technically, if you are caught driving the car for pleasure on a nice day, you could get a citation. I know NJ has a bill in place to allow up to 1000-2000 miles per year pleasure driving for "QQ" plates, not sure if that's passed yet.

Therein lies the crux of the question - should I expect to be hassled by cops if I have QQ plates on the car while on a casual cruise with nowhere to go? I am thinking no, but my concern still stands.

For those who haven't been through a NJ inspection, you'll know why QQ is an attractive option :)