IGNORED

Rear tire size options?

Seanh

My 72 datsun has black generic ugly rims on it now, with 14" 195/75 tires. I currently have major hook-up problems with them. I am putting nicer rims from my 81 Datsun 280zx on it. What would be my best bet for tire size and width for this car? I need some better rear end trackion for launching and all...

A 225/60 would probably be a bit too wide for a 6 inch wheel, they are just about right for a 7 inch rim. Might be better to use a 205/60 or maybe even a 195/60 if you can find one.

When choosing tire sizes you should look at the recommended rim widths from the manufacturer, you will get much better wear and handling if you do not go to too wide a tire on the rims you have. All tire makers usually give a recommended wheel width for each size of tire. The section width of the tire should not be more than about an inch wider than the wheel you are using. If the sidewalls are bulging too far past the rim you will not have all the tread on the road.

Take a look around on the Tire Racks web-site for tires and sizes for 6 inch rims. You should be able to find many tires available using their web-site.

www.tirerack.com

• 2 weeks later...