IGNORED

rack and pinion-name that part?

madkaw

Best of luck finding the grease reservoir. I actually saw one, brand new, in the bag, a few months ago. I was shocked. I would suggest you replace it with a normal grease nipple fitting. Let me know - I need two of them.

Chris

That looks to be Part No. C4366-0501P. The description is "reservoir-(oil with grease)". No. 25 in the illustration.
According to Russ at Nissan parts.cc it's still a valid part number. Doesn't necessarily mean it's still available but if you call him he'll place an order for it. You won't be billed unless it's actually available. I kind of doubt it based on this thread from about 5 years ago: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9936 He's found several parts for me over the years that the dealer said were NLA. Worth a try.....

That part broke on my car as well. I made an expansion chamber from a collection of pipe fittings. As shown in the attached photo.

I used a 1/8" NPT brass close nipple (short) and then attached a 1/8" ID to 1/4" OD adapter. To that I attached a 1/4" ID to 3/8" OD adapter, then a 3/8" ID to 1/2" OD, and finally used a 1/2" black pipe cap to close off the top.

I used brass because I assumed that the actual threads were BSPT, and while the OD and thread pitch are the same as NPT, the threads will be deeper. Brass being soft will conform to the steel threads and seal better.

I considered just plugging the hole, but was concerned that if Nissan thought the rack needed an expansion chamber the grease might rupture the seals when the unit was hot.

post-3035-14150802298501_thumb.jpg

How does a rack get hot?

I am not sure of the purpose. Mine is broken too and I have been looking for a year with no luck. The size of the reservoir is not big enough to make any difference compared to the space in the rack IMO. I am going with the grease nipple fitting and calling it a day.