IGNORED

Pitted Chrome on 240Z Taillight Lenses?

Oiluj

The chrome on my tailight lenses, while still somewhat shiny are heavly pitted.

I've looked around and don't see these available as replacement parts, and the repro lenses I've found on-line don't have them.

Are these available anywhere or can they be re-chromed?

They are plastic and to date no one has a cost-effective way to redo them. You can take them off (do a search - I've posted instructions), clean the insides while you are at it, coat the lense itself w/clear and then lightly sand, prime and paint the trim in any color you want (black like the tail light 3-piece trim finisher) is a good color.

I would try Zeddsaver.

His name is Norm Murphy and

specializes in Z Carb and trim restoration work.

He does metal and plastic chrome which are what these are.

Based in canada his Email adress is zeddsaver@hotmail.com

Good luck :)

~Z~

About the chrome ring problem. I'm going to try this myself in the next month, unless someone wants to try it before me. But you can buy some of the chrome tape from a hobby store, I know hobby town USA has them, and re-chrome them after you've sanded them down. It takes a delicate touch, and I've done this with plastic chrome in the past, and it comes out great. Most plastic chrome now-a-days has this tape over a white plastic piece anyways.

I also though about putting this inside the the tail lights also to see if it would give a brighter effect with them, unless someone else has already done this, feel free to chime in EScanlon. And also do a search on tailight restoration, for the thread in here on it has some very good tips.

Justin

And has anyone found out how to repair the stress cracks in these tail light lenses?

Justin, to answer your Question on coating the inside of the tail lights. White paint seems to give the brightest result. Chrome paint or similar colors give a gray tone , although bright the white is brighter. Same for the turn signals in front. Either flat or gloss . I got this from EScanlon . I tried the chrome first and repainted white. Painted all over the inside of the lights , not just the reflectors. If my reflectors were bright and untarnished I masked them off . With all the surrounding surfaces painted white, it reflects more light out the lens. I used this same method on the dash instruments as well. Gary

Justin, to answer your Question on coating the inside of the tail lights. White paint seems to give the brightest result. Chrome paint or similar colors give a gray tone , although bright the white is brighter. Same for the turn signals in front. Either flat or gloss . I got this from EScanlon . I tried the chrome first and repainted white. Painted all over the inside of the lights , not just the reflectors. If my reflectors were bright and untarnished I masked them off . With all the surrounding surfaces painted white, it reflects more light out the lens. I used this same method on the dash instruments as well. Gary

Gary, I wasn't talking about chrome paint, for I am all to familiar with the look of it. I was talking about actual chrome hobby TAPE you can buy at the hobby stores. It stands up to weather pretty well, and you can even clear coat it, well, back about 12 years ago any ways you could. But they do have that, and it comes in sheets, and it is actual reflective chrome.