IGNORED

If I could suggest anything to the ZCCA it would be:

hls30.com

What would make a ZCCA convention a can't miss event?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. What would make a ZCCA convention a can't miss event?

• 1) Put the Car Show on Saturday so more Zs can attend.
    • 2) Have meetings / demonstrations / therapy for the different Zs during the show.
    • 3) Have a bikini contest.
    • 4) Several drives through town one after the car show and one later in the festivities.
    • 5) Display the winning cars for the rest of the show-if owners can.
    • 6) After the car show have a training meeting for how to improve your score.
    • 7) Have the ZCCA / host website continually updated for those who could not attend.
    • 8) Have the previous winners cars displayed-even if only pictures
    • 9) Have an ugliest Z contest....(WE KNOW a 350Z would win, butt...)
    • 10) Have areas set up for meeting members after the days events.
    • 11) Make the convention store the communications hub.
    • 12) Make it more personal.
    • 13) Drive all event routes with a duallie and trailer to check accessability
    • 14) Set up local PSAs prior to and for the duration of the event
    • 15) Invite the media to the carshow.

Just one other point E. Art did list Kingston, where The Thousand Island Z Car Club hosted the ZCCA convention in 2001. Kingston is in Ontario Canada and was a great northern location because of the heavy concentration of Z's in the general area and the close proximety to the Eastern States.

A senior moment....how could I have forgotten the Kingston, Ontario convention! A very fun track and a club that seemed to be more like family than a group of car owners. My apologies, I really liked that convention.

As Carl explained the choices comes down to a "Z love-in" or a "meeting of the minds". It is difficult to do both with all the distractions but perhaps there is a third option. Given we now live in the 21st century, a major portion of the business end of the ZCCA could be done on-line BEFORE the convention even starts. Ideas, proposals for the next annual convention, rule changes, marketing strategies, etc., could all be discussed, pondered by the Host club presidents using the internet. The only business left to do at the convention would be say voting (location for next year, officers, final rule-making). A pro-forma meeting with everyone briefed and ready to vote BEFORE they walk into the room.

While this is a "convention" thread, I'd like to throw in my $0.02 worth by asking why limit the ZCCA to a singular event? Why not use the experience of the executive committee and their connections with Nissan to promote several regional Z events? (and yes, I know most if not all the answers as to why it can't be done, but for my part I'm not buying ' em). Why no ZCCA rep at the Mitty, MSA, or the Tail pressing the flesh, sitting at a booth, hanging out a banner?

There are other alternatives for the Z Enthusiasts to consider as "THE NATIONAL MEET" ... The MotorSports West Coast Nationals.. Several other Annual Events like the Tail-of-the-Dragon that draw huge numbers of participants. So we enthusiasts have some decisions to make as well....

FWIW,

Carl B.

I believe that the ZCCA event is the premier "National" event. Granted there is, and always will be refining that can be done to make it better. But in the spitit of the event, It encompasses all of the aspects of a national event. As a ational event the sucess is the responsibility of all of us. Clubs, and individuals (not just the host club) should pitch in. If you know a potential sponsor, or someone that can make the convention better speak up.

The Motorsports event (a great marketing idea by a premier supplier) makes for a nice afternoon get together. It does however not extend the experence of the ZCCA convention. I suspect the large numbers that are drawn to this event would be dramatically reduced if it were to go to a week long format. That said, if they were to offer a "Judged" car show as well as the popularity contest (peoples choice) they now offer, I suspect attenance would grow. Their are those that go to great personal expense (months of preparation, and $) with the hopes of bringing home a trophy as a token of recognition, only to be sent home with nothing (but a nasty attitude) being beat out by substancially inferior cars whose owners, or clubs placed them in the winners circle. Sometimes this appears only to the loser, but other times it's obvious to all.

There will always be sour grapes, the secret is to eliminate the obvious.

Without question the convention should be made more accessable to the public. I think it would increase the fun level immensely! Perhaps something as simple as choosing a local radio station as the "Official Station" to promote, and cover portions of the event.

We have talked about a bikini contest. would'nt it be neat opening night to have a radio station supported bikini contest and the winner to be the reining queen of the convention. Maybe make some appearences at the events?

Any opportunity to increase exposure and share our hobby with the masses should be taken. We will all have a lot more fun, the cars will be worth more, and maybe more local events to attend, and enjoy.

Without question the convention should be made more accessable to the public. I think it would increase the fun level immensely! Perhaps something as simple as choosing a local radio station as the "Official Station" to promote, and cover portions of the event.

We have talked about a bikini contest. would'nt it be neat opening night to have a radio station supported bikini contest and the winner to be the reining queen of the convention. Maybe make some appearences at the events?

Any opportunity to increase exposure and share our hobby with the masses should be taken. We will all have a lot more fun, the cars will be worth more, and maybe more local events to attend, and enjoy.

Local radio stations don't seem to want to do anything more than a quickie-drive-by visit without getting a significant amount of $$$. If you can figure out how to lure them in, please speak up:laugh: Getting a PSA announced on local radio & TV stations is easily done, and is on the list. The best ( ant cost-free) way to get the word out is by getting other car clubs to mention your even or pass out flyers at other car events.

MO, there's nothing "entertaining" enough about a Z convention to have a radio station be there the whole week; or even just certain parts.

There is a down-side to getting "too much" word out. It increases the risk of attracting people to the show that don't belong around any expensive or valuable cars, because these kinds of people probably have theft or vandalism in mind. (I've seen this happen.)

It would probably be best to use other car club channels to get the word out. These are probably the best people to have at your car show. Also, the car show is in a nice part of twown, where it would attract people of a more appreciative nature, or those who can just pay the entry fee.

thxZ

In response to the suggestrion that the show be on a Saturday...

Would you be willing to put TWO weeks toward the event? A saturday show means people need to leave home probably on a Wednesday, Be at the Hotel for Friday night & Saturday show, then go to some track events Sunday, Monday & Tuesday, Banquet on Wednesday, then leave for home Wednesday night or Thursday, and be home Friday night or Saturday.

That means you need 1 1/2 to 2 weeks for the event, a babysitter ( or Grandma) for that time, not to mention lost work time, lodging expenses and using up all that vacation time.

thxZ

Everything that is being brought up here is nothing really new. Well, except for the bikini contest. Go to a few national conventions and you will see that it is not a NOPI style event. The average Z owner is probably in the mid-forties and there are also quite a few women involved. And from experience, every time we try to slip in a little skin in the magazine they (our women subscribers) make it very clear that is not why they get the mag.

The national convention draws about 100 to 150 repeat offenders every year. Go to enough of them and you will see the same core group year in and year out. This is not a bad thing, I like the reunion aspect of it. The rest of the attendees is made up of locals from the surrounding areas. This is why I think it is important to have an OPEN event. How do you promote a organization or group if the general public has no access. I'm pretty sure Ohio will be doing this next year. People need to be able to walk in off the street. That is why MSA is/was so successfull. Having the car show on a closed off public street just off of a main street drew thousands of people that just happened to be driving by. Now that they have moved to a park away from the mainstream public areas, those kind of attendance numbers will surely drop.

Some of the most successful car shows in my area are the ones at shopping mall parking lots. Exposure is everything.

And if you remember, national conventions used to wrap around weekends. Would start on a Thursday and end like on a Tuesday with the car show being held on the Saturday or Sunday. That format was changed because regular attendees didn't want to use up 2 weeks of vacation time for this event. Moving it from Monday to Friday allowed them to travel on the weekends to get there and get home while only using 1 weeks vacation time. This was the reason explained to me so if it's wrong this is the time to straighten me out.

My idea of a national event is one that is the largest, hense the word "national" and not the word "regional". I look at how many cars show up, not the total number of people. A regional event can draw 200+ cars so I see no reason why a national event can't draw 500 to 600 cars. Florida is probably the third most populated Z state behind California and Texas. There should have been 400+ cars in attendance. Granted, rain dampened alot of it. LA should have had 600+ and so on. Just the combined number of Z car clubs in the area should account for 70% of those numbers.

You have to ask yourself, if you can't get the local population to attend, then what is wrong with the current system and what can be done to make it more accessible. Attendance has gone down from year to year when after 20+ conventions it should be going up.

Remember when clubs used to compete for a convention. Now they just hope someone will step up and do it the next year. presentations are a thing of the past.

As far as the northeast corridor is concerned there were three national conventions in 5 years in that area: New Hamshire, Kingston and Rochester and in 2009 it will be in Maryland.

Media exposure is always an issue of those with the strength get it. Cooperatively work with a local charity, or business to accomplish common goals.

For example,

Perhaps the Cleveland area Nissan dealers work collectively with a tent sale/display using the car show to create additional draw. This would work well especially if Nissan had a car to unveil like the 350 Nismo in Florida. Let them bear the cost of marketing, and coordination with local media.

The convention has value to community businesses, and offers a rare opportunity.

The ZCCA should benefit finacially from this arrangement, but must have genuine concern for the success to the sponsor. A letter documenting this success from the sponsor could then be used to stimulate involvement in future conventions.

The local Chamber of Commerce should also be valuable in secureing volunteers for registration etc., but you have to ask.

In response to the suggestrion that the show be on a Saturday...

Would you be willing to put TWO weeks toward the event? A saturday show means people need to leave home probably on a Wednesday, Be at the Hotel for Friday night & Saturday show, ...

That means you need 1 1/2 to 2 weeks for the event, a babysitter ( or Grandma) for that time, not to mention lost work time, lodging expenses and using up all that vacation time.

thxZ

Tomohawk,

I could be completely off base, but I think more people would come for a weekend show and not the entire event.

My point in suggesting it is that more somewhat local people will come up for a show on a weekend than will blow off a day of work to come up. As well, the tv/radio stations(around here anyway) are more interested in weekend work because they know the turnout will be considerable better.

The test is when do gas stations sell the least gas-Tuesday. When do smart business offer discounts to attract people-Tuesday. When are the majority of hotels, rental cars and flights booked-weekends. Why, because travel is most convenient to the greatest number of travelers on weekends.

Consequently, if an event is after large attendance numbers, the weekend is the time to hold it.

Add to that getting a Friday off to be able to leave Thursday would be easier to handle than taking off a full week for most people, and open up a lager area to draw from.

Several hours of driving on Thursday and up to all day Friday, means somewhere between 700 and 1200 miles(using my driving habits) of travel before the car for a show Saturday afternoon-time to . Meaning a seriously motivated Z owner could make it to the show from almost half of the country, and most of Canada and only have to miss a day of work(blowing off Monday would be a better idea, but still).

If you really want to hook the participation of the the other clubs, the media, and the local car community have a side show for other makes, and a peoples choice for every marque that shows up-more work, but you would have massive participation, and really open up Z exposure...

Will

The mindset of the convention is based on the people that go every year. That is why the format of a weekend show was changed to mid-week. We have a year to prepare for this and if you live in the area, getting one day off from work is not near as hard as having to take 2 weeks (for the people that have to travel hundreds, even thousands of miles). I doubt they will go back to the old format as long as the same core group is showing up every year.

A weekend show would definitly draw more cars and people, but I don't see the ZCCA going backwards to make that work. With the foundation the way it is, the national convention depends on that core group showing up every year. Push them away and the conventions success would rest solely on the locals and from past experience that alone won't make it a success.

You have to ask yourself, if you can't get the local population to attend, then what is wrong with the current system and what can be done to make it more accessible. Attendance has gone down from year to year when after 20+ conventions it should be going up.

Remember when clubs used to compete for a convention. Now they just hope someone will step up and do it the next year. presentations are a thing of the past.

As far as the northeast corridor is concerned there were three national conventions in 5 years in that area: New Hamshire, Kingston and Rochester and in 2009 it will be in Maryland.

Art,

Thanks for the info I didn't quote here-lends itself to a healthy number of discussions I have going on...

As for what I did quote, you spanked the nail that started this thread.

Why isn't the ZCCA actively seeking to grow participation?

For the hobby to grow, the events have to be readily accessable to everyone. It is kind of hard to grow enthusiasm and participation without attracting new blood. The ZCCA is no longer a marketed organization.

The website, while it shows there was a great deal of thought and time investment early on, has lost the characteristics of a smile and a glad hand for the countries Z owners. Not updating the carshow results shows without a doubt noone there cares about the cars! Wait, a Car club who doesn't actively care about the cars...is that the message the ZCCA wants to send? It must be, they have been doing it for several YEARS. I am not trying t beat up the ZCCA, I am trying to get their attention! I informed them of issues with the website several times over the last year and rather than simply bitching about it, offered to correct the issue-no ressponse. My experience is most people ignore what they don't care about-ZCCA.org for instance...

The website is the nationwide(and worldwide) focal point of the entire club-of course if you don't market the club who is going to look...

Passion is what the ZCCA is missing. Passion about the cars, passion about presenting them in the best way, and passion about infecting the somewhat interested to allow them to become passionate as well.

BTW

Art,

Haven't most of us 240Z subscribers taught you that it isn't about what people don't pay for, it is about what they won't pay for...Just the thought behind opportunity cost analysis...Course, it sounds like you could teach most of us how to party!