IGNORED

Who has 14x7 Applance slots or Konig Rewinds on a 240Z?

Arne

Are there any 240Zs here with Appliance brand 14x7 slot mags on them? Not the more common 6" wide, but 14X7s?

Here's the deal - I found a full set of four Appliance Dish Mags (aka slots) in 14x7. Normally I wouldn't consider 7" wide due to the lack of tire choices. But this set of wheels is NOS. Never had tires mounted, never bolted on a car. The thought of NOS appeals to me a lot.

But - my recollection from selling those wheels back in the late 70's and early '80s is that the 7" Appliances frequently had clearance issues, because (as I seem to recall) they were not zero offset, but more like -10 or so. Rather deep dish. So my concern is clearance when turning at the front valance.

I figure I'll run 215/60-14 on them if I get them. That's both shorter and wider than the 195/70-14s I now have on my 14x6s.

So my question is: Are there any 240Zs (approximately stock height) with these particular wheels on them? If so, what size tires are you running, and do you have any tire clearance issues?

Arne,

I bought the Appliance Aluminum mags 14" x 7" wide in Orlando,Fl about June, 1972. Believe I paid $150 for the set of four.

I installed Goodyear ER70-14 tires on them and did encounter clearance issues on my Series I 240Z. When making hard right or left turn the tire would rub the valence piece on each side. My fix was to provide some additional clearance by rolling the lip of the valence.

I am currently running Falken 195/65/14 tires coupled with Tokico spring/shock kit which lowers car about 1 inch. I have not experienced any additional problems with this combo. The extra stiffness of the shocks also probably helps. I have not measured with the actual clearance with the valence at extreme conditions but will do so at next opportunity.

Unfortunately, rolling the lip is no longer an option with the BRE Spook installed. But your results are still encouraging, Ron, in that your 195/65-14 should be about the same diameter as the 215/60-14s that I would like to use. The fact that they don't rub even on a lowered car is a good sign, as my car is at stock height with slightly stiffer Euro Stage 1 springs from Courtesy. The old ER70-14s were a full size taller than stock, so I'm not surprised that they rubbed a bit.

Arne, I am pretty sure Mike W runs these wheels on his Z, I don't recall him having any problems with them and IIRC his car is lowered a little -- If I talk to him I'll ask him to check this thread and chime in!

Cheers!

Doug

Sorry, I missed this thread earlier. My slot mags, which I believe were dealer-installed, are stamped "US Indy Mag" on the back side and are 14X7. I'm currently running 205/60-14 with the Tokico performance springs sold by MSA with no clearance problems. In fact, the original springs that I replaced sagged so much that the lowering springs actually raised the car a bit.

I have a fiberglass front air dam, otherwise all stock, been running it that way since '79 or so. I'm not sure what the off set is but could measure them if you want as I have the wheels off the car right now.
Sorry, I missed this thread earlier. My slot mags, which I believe were dealer-installed, are stamped "US Indy Mag" on the back side and are 14X7. I'm currently running 205/60-14 with the Tokico performance springs sold by MSA with no clearance problems. In fact, the original springs that I replaced sagged so much that the lowering springs actually raised the car a bit.
Thanks for the info, guys.

LanceM - the airdam on your car probably has more clearance up front than the stock valance corners on my car. However, your results are still encouraging as I believe the wire mags you run have the same offset as the slots, and you are running larger tires than I would.

MikeW - I'm not sure if your results help much, as I seem to recall that the US Indy's did have a more typical zero offset, not the -10 or so of the Appliances. I was also hoping to avoid having to go that small on the tire size. And again, your airdam (as shown in your avatar) probably has more clearance than my valances.

I dunno. Still waffling. Neither the size (14x7) nor the style (slots) are my first choice for replacement wheels. Not that I hate slots, I don't. But still not my first choice. But I'm still attracted to the thought of NOS.

MikeW - I'm not sure if your results help much, as I seem to recall that the US Indy's did have a more typical zero offset, not the -10 or so of the Appliances. I was also hoping to avoid having to go that small on the tire size. And again, your airdam (as shown in your avatar) probably has more clearance than my valances.

I don't know what my offset is but I'd be happy to attempt to measure it if that will help you. My wheels do have a deeper dish than similar wheels I've seen but that's purely from visual inspection. However, the fact that they're not Appliance wheels might not make a good comparison.

My instinct says that if you really don't care for them then you shouldn't use them on your car. They certainly do have a certain value being NOS so if you have a place to store them and can get them at a reasonable price I see no reason not to grab them in case you change your mind later.

Mike, your deeper dish could be from offset, but is more likely simply due to them being 7" wide, as opposed to the more typical 6" width.

Don't get me wrong, I do like slots. I'm just not certain I like them quite as much as a few other styles. Especially on the red car, we've gotten used to it with fairly flashy rims on it (first the chrome wire wheels it came with, now the fully polished wire mags). Plus I'd need to buy a new set of tires for them, the current tires aren't really wide enough for 7" rims. I have considered just buying the new rims anyway, but I don't really have a good place to store them, I don't think my wife would be amused at me putting even more Datsun parts in the spare bedroom... :D