IGNORED

Sugar scoops

a7dz

Fiberglass sugar scoops

I have heard so many times these can not be repaired that I get tired of it. It is not true and a lot of repairable parts are being discarded that should not be.

This left one I am going to use as an example was over trimmed a quarter inch and was cracked along the edge that bolts to the fender and lower fender valance.

The first thing I did was to sand the sugar scoop to see the damage and then laid up a ply of fiberglass mesh and resin as a base:

001.jpg

002.jpg

Using this as a base I added plies of fiber glass cloth and resin to build up the edge and fill area where the cracks had been ground to a "V" on both sides. Giving the scoop the Strength needed to keep the scoop from cracking out again.

003.jpg

004.jpg

Using a cut off wheel I rough trimmed the fiber glass.

005.jpg

006.jpg

I final fit the sugar scoop using a disk on a two inch pad, Carefully scribing the scoop to the fender sanding the high points and then trying the fit again.

007.jpg

008.jpg

Painted the car and sugar scoop, reassembled the car with these results:

009.JPG

010.JPG

Great job! If/when you get bored you could pick up a bunch of those off EBay, Craigslist etc for cheap (since they are "not repairable" right?) repair them and sell them for some extra spending $$$

I couldn't appreciate the degree of damage in the before pics, but the final result looks pleasing--I bet you were satisfied as well!

Very nice work, Jim! I let go of a couple of these on eBay this past year because they had one or more of the studs broken off. They came off my projects and I had to find replacements with good studs because I had no idea how to repair them. For the benefit of members with the same problem, what would the process be to replace the broken studs embedded in the fiberglass?