IGNORED

Speaker Box Blue Prints

red_dog007

Well, I have been thinking how I am going to hook up a decent sound system in the Z. I figured 2 speakers in the back where they go, and then two speakers right behind the seats where those storage bins are. Then my bass would go were the spare tire goes with the amps behind the seats.

Though, does anyone know if someone has created a box to hold a sub in the wheel well? I would need to draw up my own blue prints, but if someone else has already done it I could just steal theirs. Anyone know of someone who has done this and has pictures or prints online?

We can make one for you and ship it. Let me know and I will get you a price. Here is a link for two of our shops systems. The corvette holds 3 world sound titles. http://4state-extrememachines.com/viewtopic.php?t=9

Our site is still young and we dont even have 5% of the projects and builds on the site yet.

For the box it would be all handmade and will fit like a glove with the correct airspace for your speakers.

Let me know if you want one made.

I bought a 72 parts car last year that had a thumppin' stereo in it and this is how "Farmer Ted" mounted his bass speakers:

He first lined the spare tire well with foam pad, then got a large round 3/4" plywood sheet to cover the well by about 3". Cut 2 holes in the wood for the 10" speakers, mounted them with dry-wall screws, then dry-wall screwed the wood to the body in about 20 places, no chance of the these puppies bouncing out. Then he cut out round holes in the bulging carpet to show off these new gems. The amp was dry-wall screwed to the driver's tranny tunnel and the 6X9s were dry-wall screwed to the tops of the tool boxes (lids removed), 4"ers up under the dash with dry-wall screws, the unit itself was, you guessed it, dry-wall screwed into the opening, oh, and most of the wireing was exposed.

Where would man be these days without dry-wall screws? Wish I had invented them.

I think I would see what carguyinok has to offer before using the above method.

Bonzi Lon

I built one for my 240 about 4 years ago. I've also built a couple others based on the same design.

Make a small cardboard or MDF box to cover the spare tire mounting bracket. Tape it down to the wheel well.

Layer the whole wheel well with aluminum foil and tape it off so NO fiberglass resin will leak out into the wheel well metal.

Coat the whole thing with resin and hand lay at least and 1/8" to 3/16" of matt in there. Make sure to leave at least 2 inches uncoated and hanging over the outer edge, This 2 inches will be resin'd to the top plate that you'll make out of 5/8" MDF.

the wheel well airspace is sufficiant for 2) low Q 12" subs or 2) high volume 10" subs.

I have a 12" MTX in mine but my box is a 2/3's box. which leaves enough room for the amp to set beside the enclosure, inside the wheel well.

I also have a tool rack on top of the amp, never had a problem with over-heating. I built mine level with the lower lip and that allows a 1/4" plate (wheel well cover) to still fit on top properly. Then cut a hole for the sub to peek thru.

4921zsubtools.jpg

4921zsubcover.jpg

2635267_2_full.jpg

post-4921-14150801792681_thumb.jpg

post-4921-141508017931_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150801793449_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150801793792_thumb.jpg

post-4921-14150801794119_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Zs-ondabrain.

I like your combination. Although, I remember calculating the enclosure size for my 12" MTX and 600 watts to require the whole wheel well. Regardless, I'm sure yours sounds great too.

One question, doesn't your speaker vibrate the carpet when you lay it on top? If so, how have to resolved this issue?

Edited by modernmagic

Not sure if I posted it or not but I redid the sub enclosure in the rear

I'm impressed with your glass job in the well! Where did you end up putting the amp(s)?

In regards to the carpet vibration, do you also have carpet padding? Mine was the original carpet so maybe it was so deteriorated that it was vibrating....

If you are curious about my z here is my blog: 240 zrod Widebody