IGNORED

1972 240 carb to fuel injection conversion?

Shoottathril200

Hey Carl,

I'm not looking for an argument believe me. I consider you as one of my fellow Z Car friends :D and I'm not trying to go off the beaten path here and take over Shoottathril200's post. If I did in anyway my appologies.

I just really didn't agree with the factory Bosch F.I. System in the 280Z's being labeled as "historic junk" and felt the need to jump in and voice my opinion on it thats all.

Again, my appologies if I Hi-Jacked the post :bandit:

Hell I'll argue with you. Go ahead, you start. LOL

Well, I'll chime in here now as well, as a question was posed, and not answered.

Carl Beck Wrote:

"Lets face it, can you plug your P.C. into your Jetronic System and reprogram the fuel maps, adjust the volumes and air/fuel ratios to account for different engine displacements, head flow rates, new cam profiles, or different spark timing curves?"

Actually, yes you can! With the new Nisstune Program, and the Z31 System (an altered Bosch-Tronic Derivative) you indeed can program most any parameter you want on the stock Nissan ECU.

The real answer to the question "Should I install 280ZX EFI on my 240" shoulde be "NO, use the Z31 System instead!" it gives you integrated Spark and fuel management, as well as a Mass Airflow Sensor that meters actual airflow through the engine, self compensating to a great degree for any N/A engine situation, from an L24 through and to 12psi of boost on an L28.

And with the Nisstune allowing you to remap the fuel and spark (Jeff Priddy is well over 480HP to the rear wheels using this box...definately outside 'stock parameters') you get OEM reliability in componentry, along with similar adjustability to Standalones. The standalones do have their part to play. But for a low-bucks junkyard swap, the Z31 takes some electrical familiarity and some conversion of components, but it's FAR ahead of the first-generation of even the 280ZXT ECCS, much less the simpler EFI used on earlier cars.

You guys talk about how difficult a swap it is, back in the 80's swapping Datsun 280Z EFI onto Chevrolet Corvairs was a BIG deal! You think swapping a head or running a fuel return line is difficult, wrap your heads around using that 280Z system on an air cooled Chevrolet Engine!

As KTM said, Megasquirt has opened a lot of different avenues for Throttle Body injection on these engines so no machining is required.

There is another system currently out there marketed through several niche vendors that utilizes a unique Puleswidth Modulated Fuel Pump Control which uses a fuel pressure sensor to keep fuel pressure by varying the speed of the pump making a return line UNREQUIRED, and the system is designed specifically for older carburetted cars that do NOT have a fuel return line! Their pump controller works on a fuel pump large enough to supply a 500HP fuel demand...so that about has 99.999% of us L-6 Datsun guys covered!

There is another system currently out there marketed through several niche vendors that utilizes a unique Puleswidth Modulated Fuel Pump Control which uses a fuel pressure sensor to keep fuel pressure by varying the speed of the pump making a return line UNREQUIRED, and the system is designed specifically for older carburetted cars that do NOT have a fuel return line! Their pump controller works on a fuel pump large enough to supply a 500HP fuel demand...so that about has 99.999% of us L-6 Datsun guys covered!

And where would one find such a beauty????