IGNORED

Rb20det

red_dog007

Well, the speed bug is getting me and I am debating on getting a motor swap.

What kind of 0 to 60 could I see with 215hp from the 2L turbo?

Fuel economy? I was thinking maybe a V8, but even in 2300lbs, it still wouldn't be that great I don' think.

Does anyone know how responsive is the turbo on this motor and if there are any reliability issues?

I know that hybridz would be the better place, but I hate that site and have already asked. Now seeing if anyone here might possibly know.

I was thinking about pimping out my L24, but the cost to benefit ratio is extremely ridiculous compared to just getting a $1,500 clip that will have more power then an L24 and has more potential.

Might wait awhile to do this though. I was thinking about doing my engine stuff first, but I think that I am going to get my interior fixed up and a new paint job before I get into the engine stuff, so hopefully the speed bug will have passed by then.

I think 215 hp in a early Z would not be legendary, but very impressive compared to the standard L type setup. My neighbour has a Celica (late 80s type) with a GTE single turbo (another straight six) that puts out about 215 hp - his car is much heavier (I'ld guess over 3K). That car can move - lots of power and will ruin tires if you are enthusiastic.

I am sure an RB20 would impress and would at least be a sister engine type.

I have seen alot of rb25/26 swaps. What hp range are you trying to hit. If you just want 215 why not just go the turbo l28 route. The clip might be 1500 but remember that you have to get the engine installed. That means custom everything and more money.

I have never seen an L28ET for sale. If I could find one of these, then yeah I would get that instead.

For HP range, I was just wanting to drop to at least roughly 6 seconds. I know that if I go turbo, there is the possibilities for me, but 6 seconds should be good.

Though with 215hp, that would be 11lbs per hp, which is what a Mustang GT has and does 0 to 60 in 5.1 seconds. So I would imagine that a 215hp 240z would pull pretty close to that.

Unless a L24 with electronic ignition, cam, exhaust, and tuned SU's can get to the 200hp mark, I might just stick with the L24.

Always thought about stroking it, porting it and triple carbs but that stuff is expensive with a minimal payoff. Still could do that just to be different.

Red dog, my '70 is equipped w/trips, cam & headers and stock 4 speed and driveline. I just found that it tops out at 130 mph @ 6700. It will pop 60 in less than six, even with weak synchros. My local Z guru estimates between 225 & 250 hp and I'll be testing that hypothesis within sixty days at a dyno shop.

Oh, BTW, the sound is incredible!

Regards,

Red_Dog007

I have a 76 280 L28 N47 stock for the most part upgraded airfilter, electric fan and alluminum radiator. If you drive it right off the line you can beat that mustang. I have done it before. I have looked at most different ways to get faster in my car but I have desided to go Turbo with an F54 block P90 head and an aftermarket fuel system so I can fine tune everything.

What kind of fuel economy could be expected from this 2L?

Try browsing through this forum on NICOclub.com

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zeroforum/135

There are a lot of 240SX guys running RB20's. At one time I remember seeing a thread about fuel economy. Loads of performance related info in there as well. If they get decent performance in the heavier 240SX, think of how much better it would be in a lighter Z?