IGNORED

My lights suck.

zanthus

So I got the car to run but the headlights don't work. I can turn the combo switch on and the parking lights work. When turning it so the headlights are on they don't come on. I can use my brights though, so I don't think its the combo switch (I took it apart and cleaned it anyway though) and its not a fuse I've checked and I've got power to the fusebox. Does anyone have anywhere else that is a notorious problem that I should start looking at so I don't just start tearing into things?

Also my turn signals don't work. Any help on that one? All the other lights work but headlights and turn signals. Kinda need them in the winter though. Thanks.

Dave has the up grade head light harness that is a plug in and play. Uses all Nissan plugs. It takes the load off the old wiring and uses relays . I am running H-4s 90- 100s and it handles the added Amperage great and the fuse block is not ever warm. Reduces the load to about 5 amps to the combo switch. He also has a harness that does the same for the tail lights and dash lights. All are about 30% brighter. Gary

So I've been up since before the Butt-crack of dawn and I decided to remove and inspect the turn signal side of the switch so I could see if I can get the lights to work. I've taken it all apart, cleaned it, and put it all back together. No luck. The head lights still will not work unless I have my brights on. Any other ideas? Oh the Turn signals still don't work either. Is there a turn signal relay?

Decades ago my dad was sure his 78 Dodge Diplomat had an electrical problem as the low beams didn't work, (4 headlight system)...In the end it was that both low beam units had burned out.

Try a new headlight or check the plug with a voltmeter.

-Al

Just rewired 1970 Z and had a lot of the same. Head lights have a +B power feed from the fuse box to the light switch. That wire is working. There are two wires that go out to your head lights from the collum, High beam and low beam that are controlled by the dimmer switch. My guess is the low beam wire is not working. Do a continuity check on that wire. If you want to have low beam only switch the spade connections at the light connection/plug high to low wire in the plug. I use a set of tweesers to push down the spring part of the spade connector that holds it in the plug. Good luck

As for your turn blinkers. Does your hazards work? If they work then its in the switch. Make sure your big round fuse is ok the one that makes the blinking noise. Also check all you bulbs associated with your blinkers. When I bought my car some one put a single fillament bulb in the back and that side blinker did not work front or back. Strange things happen with electrical. One thing that helped me the most was a color wiring diagram. Got mine on ebay www.slash5.com check them out.

Dave's headlight relays don't fit 280Zs, so they aren't applicable for the original poster's car.

Arne,

Dave can make a relay kit for the 280, I wrote and asked him about it while awaiting delivery of my car. Please see his email response:

I can make one for your car but it does cost more than the 240Z harness. the harness is $150 and would have to be hard wired into your system, if you don't have a spare set of headlight plugs to supply me with. The plugs in question are pictured below this mesage. They are the white, round 3 wire plugs located to the right and left of the front pulleys, on each fender.

I charge $150 because it isn't your basic harness, it takes measurements from you and more wire than the 240Z harness. I have an extra set of 280Z plugs but they are $7 each for a total of $21 added to the $150. The harness will be completely plug and play, fused and the relays are easily replacable with relays from your local Auto Parts Store. Shipping is included in the harness's price.

If you are still interested in the harness, I will need these measurements from you.....

1) measure from the battery's positive post down to the frame, and over to the area that you want the dual relay pack to be mounted ( mounting hole wil need to be at least 6" above the frame)

2) measure from the relay packs location to the right headlight plug (following the stock wiring so you can use the OEM wire clamps and holders)

3) measure from the right headlight plug, following the stock wiring, to the left headlight plug. remember to add slack to your measurements. (all these measurements are in or near the engine compartment, not the headlights themselves.)

4) each headlight plug will have a new ground wire pertruding from it and will need to be ground to the frame using a stock or pre-existing screw or bolt. SO measure from the plugs to the nearest mounting hole for each of the two ground wires.

I've added a picture of the 240Z headlight uprade harness so you can see what I mean in terms of grounds and relay pack mounting. I've also included a diagram that explains the wiring in a 240Z with plugs but also somewhat pertains to the 280Z in terms of wire colors.

I only take Money Orders made out to David W. Irwin and you can send your order and payment to me at.....