IGNORED

5 speed & R200LSD

d240zx2

Ok, I'm fixin' to drop a bundle.

I want to put a 5-speed (81-82-83) and R200 LSD (3.7) into my 1970 Z.

What other parts and pieces are required, e.g. half-shafts, drive shaft, moustache bar, etcetera.

Thanks in advance for your learned assistance.

Frank

To answer that, most of us would have to search around to make sure are facts are straight etc...I'd start by checking out searched posts and threads.

For the 5 speed, you will need to make sure your clutch matches the 5 speed transmission. You would want a same year clutch slave, clutch parts. Everything else should work--

except is your transmission hole in a different spot? I can't remember...I know it's in the correct position on my 72, anyone else out there to confirm the 70 model--is the tranny hole in a different spot?

The 240 came with a R180, so most items in the back would have to be changed out for a R200--mustache bar, halfshafts, etc.

For the five speed in a '70, you need the transmission itself, and all the clutch parts should come from the same car - pressure plate, thowout bearing and collar, clutch fork and slave cylinder. Simplest is to use all your current clutch parts with the newer five speed.

You will also need to either enlarge the hole in the tunnel and use a 280Z shift lever as-is, or have a 280Z/ZX lever modified to fit your existing hole.

If you stuck with the existing forward mounted R180, you could use your existing driveshaft. But if you go with an R200 you'll need a longer driveshaft from a '72 or later Z.

For the R200, you'll need the diff, moustach bar, lower rear suspension cross bar, front differential crossmember, and possibly a pair of halfshafts for an R200.

I think that's it. Somebody chime in if I missed anything.

For the 5 speed, you will need to make sure your clutch matches the 5 speed transmission. You would want a same year clutch slave, clutch parts.

Incorrect. The clutch does not matter, but rather the throwout collar. The throwout collar MUST match the pressure plate. The clutch disk, slave and master cylinders have NO bearing on what transmission you use. The size of the clutch disk is related to the flywheel friction surface, 225 mm for N/A cars and 240mm for 2+2 and turbo.

The throwout collars are different between the 2+2 and the coupes, simply because the pressure plates were different. You CAN mix and match components, as long as you pair the collar to the pressure plate.

I installed a 240 mm Fidanza flywheel along with an ACT clutch and ACT pressure plate, using the correct collar, as well as a 1971 slave cylinder and the OE master cylinder in my 1972 240z.

except is your transmission hole in a different spot? I can't remember...I know it's in the correct position on my 72, anyone else out there to confirm the 70 model--is the tranny hole in a different spot?

For 1970 and 1971 240zs, the transmission opening will require modification.

Just a heads-up if contemplating the use of 280ZX half shafts in this conversion! The passanger side is no problem but the drivers side will have to be shortened by 0.500" in order for it not to bind under full compression....it's too long in stock form and will bind. It's a relatively easy mod for any good machinist......just don't loose any of the ball spacers during disassembly....they are no longer available. If you have questions about this mod, send me a PM.

Tom

I have a 77 and I'm putting in a 82 five spd will that use the old throwout collar from the 77 four spd?

Yes. As long as you are not changing out the pressure plate you can use the same throwout collar.

If you have a choice between modifying the shift handle or making the hole bigger, I would modify the shift handle. For a Series I Z, my motto is: "Don't do anything to it you can't undo".
I'm of the same opinion. I don't mind modifications, as long as they can be undone if later desired.

If you have a choice between modifying the shift handle or making the hole bigger, I would modify the shift handle. For a Series I Z, my motto is: "Don't do anything to it you can't undo".

Add to this the fact that in addition to having to cut out the forward edge of the shifter hole, the additional problem that the stock shifter will slam into your console and break the front edge of it as well.

Oh, and that larger hole is nearly impossible to seal...

I would have bought the shifter, except that my car already had all those problems, and all that the PO had done was to swap in a 280Z 4 speed... So over-sized floor cutout, and broken console without the benefit of an overdrive 5th gear. What a deal!