IGNORED

Recommended hardware to mount spook?

Arne

My original 1972 BRE Spook had an upper half to the ducted portion - forming a true duct.

Hi Goose52:

Sounds like you got one of the last Mk 1 Spooks. They did come with the "tops" of the brake ducts and the leading edges were wider. BRE started shipping the Mk II's about mid year 1971 as I recall.

Anyway - here is a copy of the installation instructions for the BRE Mk II Spook... The three bolts at the back edge used existing captive nuts in the bottom of the radiator core support. All others had to be drilled through the Spook and into the lower finisher panels on the car.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

post-3609-14150801280417_thumb.jpg

post-3609-14150801280927_thumb.jpg

Hi Goose52:

Sounds like you got one of the last Mk 1 Spooks.

Hi Carl,

No, I probably had a Mk II ... I just didn't describe the confiration of my duct very well. The duct was integral with the Spook (not a separate piece) and was circular at the end.

The ducted Spooks shown in this thread only have a trough extending rearward - there is no true duct. What I meant by an "upper half" on my Spook is that it had a true duct - the top of the trough was enclosed. This top portion was a separate fiberglas lay-up that was bonded to the main portion of the Spook and formed an "upper half" ...

Here's a photo of this duct configuration (albeit on a 510) from page 167 of the original "How to modify..." book:

Wayne

post-10882-14150801281329_thumb.jpg

Hi Wayne:

Your description was fine - my memory was not. The Mk I Spooks were for the roadsters... and the Mk II's were the first for the Z's.

Yes, originally the Z Spooks had the tops of the ducts in place when shipped, then they left them off, but still included the upper half of the duct with the Spook, then finally they eliminated them altogether.

sorry for the confusion...

Carl B.

Sorry Carl. When you say, they left the tops on when shipped, were they laid up in place? Then, sometime therafter you say that they left them off but shipped them. Does this mean that it was left up to the dealers to install the top part, or not, as they saw fit?

Just curious. I haven't seen any spooks with a top duct for a Z. But then again, I have only been around here for two years. Thanks.

Hi Randy:

When BRE first started shipping the Spooks for the Z's (their Mk II design for the Z).. the lower half of the ducts were molded into the Spook, the upper half of the ducts were molded separately and then bonded to the lower half by BRE. So when the Spook arrived the rear of the ducts were fully enclosed and round.

Sometime later, they simply included the upper half of the ducts, and it was up to the installer to decide if they wanted or needed to use them, later still BRE simply quite suppling the upper halfs all together.

The first Spook I received for my 70 Z was of the first type. After I smashed that one, the second Spook I received was of the second type and I did not install the upper half of the ducts on that one. When I purchased a new Spook for my 72 Z - it came without the upper half of the ducts.

The Spook that BRE ran on their #46 car was quite different than the "redesigned" Mk II that they sold to the public. See picture below...

The early Mk II's also had a wider reinforcing lip around the outside, than the later one's.

post-3609-1415080128274_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Old thread, but I wonder why BRE didn't just sell the same spook to the public.

The picture above your Post - is the original, hand lay up, very early in the season. The spook was refined and redesigned - most likely also looking at produce ability as well as function. So BRE did sell the same spook they used, after the development work was done...

So; is the MSA BRE spoiler as well made as the Classic Datsun BRE spoiler?

I'm about to buy one; but not sure.

I don't know - I don't have both types to compare. I know the one's from Classic Datsun are as original and good quality...

FWIW,

Carl B.