IGNORED

Urethane Steering Coupler

red dragon

You could also have an out of round front wheel, it might not be picked up when the tires were balanced. I had an out of round aluminum wheel on the front for 30 years, my cars steering wheel shook from 40 mph and up. I had new tires put on 3 weeks ago and they put the right front (the bad one) on the back and it stopped shaking at all speeds.

I just replaced my rubber steering coupler with a urethane. I noticed that the steering wheel began to shake at roughly 65 - 75 mph. Did I install it improperly, have anyone else encountered this issue. Or is something else causing this problem?

It's most likely you have other issues....ie; worn out bushings and tie-rod ends. When the the steering and suspension have room to move around on their own, they will, causing the old shimmy and shake.

Tom

The reason you notice the shake now that you have the urethane bushing is because it transfers more of the vibration up to the steering wheel. The old rubber bushing would absorb it. It isn't the cause, it is just letting you feel the problem better than before.

• 2 months later...

Evening all , I've just come in from installing new rack bushings and the job was a complete cakewalk . Wd-40 is your friend to loosen everything and then it was a simple matter of un-installing ,cleaning all the parts with carb cleaner then a generous spray of wd-40 on the rack itself where the bushing will slide in. I boiled some water then dropped the new bushings into the pan and let them heat up for maybe 5 mins then i greased them up right out of the hot water and slid them right in to place ,I quickly bolted them up to snug and then tightened them . These bushings are from Energy suspension ,Part #7.10101g specific to 70-73 . The end result is nothing short of amazing ,almost all frontend shimmy is gone .BTW , I also did the steering coupler ,As well Energy product ,Great stuff in black polyurethane .

See ya

Chris