IGNORED

260Z into a 240Z

SVD115

Hi all, i haven't been round the Z's the longest time but i have dedicated myself to getting one i really want a 240Z but i find the problem is they're too hard too get and all the ones i find for sale are too good for what i want too do and way out of my price league, so ive decided to do the next best thing get a 260Z. What i wanted too know is how much in body wise is different between the two other than the rear tail lights???

Cheers JD

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, no one has responded to this yet?

I'm way far from an expert on this, but I'll be glad to help with what little I know, especially since my limited knowledge is limited even more to the US domestic cars.

The early 1974 260Z in the US had "skinny" bumpers that were somewhat different than the '73 bumpers. (and the '73 bumpers were slightly different than the earlier years). Late '74 260Zs in the US got the "fat" bumpers that the 280Zs had. But these are all US specs, caused mostly by government mandated safety, and collision standards. Hopefully the Aussies avoided a lot of that!

Our 260Zs had different center consoles and dashes also. Don't know of any other body differences, but likely there were some minor ones I'm not knowledgeable about.

There have got to be some Aussie posters here or in Australiane Z clubs that can tell you more!

Good luck --Bob

Here in the States unlike Oz. the 260Z was for only one year, 74. after that Nissan produced the 280Z until '79 then the ZX with a different block but still a 280. So you have several years of the 260Z in OZ and I am sure there are differences but I am not knowledgeable with them. Gary

Once again, not to sure of the Aussie diferences but the 240Z's all had front parking light/turn signals under the bumpers, under the headlights. The 260Z had them inside the grill area.

260Z=square T/S--parking light? inside the grill area

240Z=teardrop shaped, under the bumper

240Z=reverse lights in the taillights

260Z=reverse lights between tail light assembly and license plate

240Z early years had no shock absorber on the bumper, later year 240Z's had a frame mounted shock absorber, I think.....

260Z (as mentioned above) had skinny 240Z style bumpers thru mid production and then went to the larger 280Z style "Fat" bumpers and into the 280Z models.

That's all I know and I may not be 100% positive but most of it is true,

Dave.

What i wanted too know is how much in body wise is different between the two other than the rear tail lights???

Cheers JD

Aside from cosmetic changes to the appearance, both the 240Z and 260Z 2 seaters are almost identical. All front panels are interchangeable. There are minor changes to the chassis of the 260 that make it a little stronger and heavier i believe.

Aussie Zeds never had the shock absorbing bumpers.

The tell-tale exterior difference between the 240 and the 260 is the tail lights, though it is possible to retro-fit the 240 tail lights into a 260Z with some work.

Member toecutter has done it with his 260z.

Heres a few pics:

http://www.viczcar.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=6&pos=0

http://www.viczcar.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=10004&pos=-1269

Those in the know will be able to spot its a 260Z, but to most people it looks like a 240Z.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I did not see this earlier and hope this information might still be useful.

In addition to, or to complement some of the information already presented., Nissan Motor Co Service Bulletin 215 , 1974, outlines the main differences between the new 260Z models, and the earlier 240Z. It does not go into detail on some of the additional differences required for specific markets eg the bumpers for the USA.

Without going into detail of the additional differences between the newly introduced 2+2 model, a summary of the INITIAL changes introduced in 1974 follows below. Keep in mind that additional changes were introduced as the 260Z progressed through to 1977 including hood louvres, console design, carburettors, seat brackets, a bend in the rear stabiliser bar, new horn body, gauges, washer tank, interior trim features, tyres, and others that do not readily come to mind.

L26 engine

Fuel System

The fuel strainer and its bracket have been relocated and the rubber hose between the strainer and the pump modified.

Fuel piping running through the floor tunnel was moved to the inner side of the right side member under the floor.

The shape of the fuel tank was changed to increase fuel capacity.

The layout of the two breather hoses between the tank and the filler hose was modified.

Radiator

Oil hose connector on the automatic transmission option was changed from a screw in to an insertion type.

Exhaust

The bending radius of the exhaust centre tube was increased and the tube moved 20mm downward to cater for the relocated differential mounting front member.

Clutch

The clutch design was changed to reduce weight.

Axle & Suspension

The position of the front strut and hose bracket was changed.

Springs

New coil spring options were introduced.

Strut Upper Mounting Insulator

Height of insulator increased by 20mm, in response to the heightened floor.

Front Brake Hose

Length increased 40mm

The connector was redesigned to prevent hose twisting due to incorrect installation.

Brake Piping

Brake piping running through the floor was relocated.

Rear brake piping lengthened and three way connector relocated.

Handbrake

Installation angle and length of link lever changed.

Adjustment nut moved from rear to the centre of the rod.

New clevis pin added to the nut.

Radiator Core Support

Opening in the radiator core support enlarged.

Reinforced protector welded to the front crossmember.

Splash Board

Slightly redesigned – no details given.

Floor

Floor tunnel redesigned with heightened floor surface 20mm.

Right floor member lengthened downward by 20mm.

Seating bracket relocated to accommodate enlarged floor tunnel

Seat bracket redesigned for increased strength.

Differential mounting extended 20mm downward.

Rear strut housing heightened by 42mm.

Spare tyre housing moved 30mm to right to accommodate enlarged fuel tank.

Rear Panel

Cutout enlarged to accommodate the exhaust tail tube.

Vent hole provided to relieve hot air from the muffler.

Tie down hook mounting hole and its mounting surface redesigned.

Front Tie Down Hook

Strengthened hook installed on each side of front cross member.

Moved outward due to enlarged radiator, redesigned splash board and radiator core support.

Electrical

Addition of relay bracket in engine room harness.

New condenser style turn signal flasher unit.

Three pole insertion type connector for horn relay.

Horn body modified.

Improved harness connectors

• 1 year later...

I have a '70 240Z and a parts car early '74 260Z 2+2. The rear suspension is getting really worn out on the 240. Bearings, bushings, diff have all seen much better days. The rear suspension is really healthy on the 260. I know the correct response is to just fix the 240 but do you know if the complete rear suspension and drivetrain will fit if I take it off the 260.

The struts are a different size. The diff should bolt in, as should the mustache bar and lower control arms.

I believe the 2+2 has taller and stronger (more stout) struts and springs and the purches sit at a different height.

I too have a 70' 240Z and an early 260Z. The struts assemblies were different. I even remembered to t6ake a picture and make measurements. The pictures are of the front left struts. Not sure if the pics will even help but there they are.

Dave

post-4921-14150807627301_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

Thanks Dave!!!!

That does help a lot. I figured that they would be different but they look the same at a glance so I figured I would ask. Good thing the 260Z has a 5 speed and an L28 or I would have bought it for nothing.

I guess I better get online and order a bushing kit and rear bearings. Any recommendations? I have bought stuff from Black Draggon and Motorsport in the past.

Thanks again for the quick response. Much appreciated.

Gerry

The standard Weatherstripping kit, Struts, springs, Poly-Urethane kit and almost any standard 240Z equipment will work just fine on your 240Z. I think the only issue with a 70' is the ball joints in front. I think they are a different size than the other 240Z's. I'm sure some one else can confirm this...... Carl, Arne, Enrique?? someone?

Gerry ,Take a closer look at the rear suspension, the 2+2 cars use the r-200 diff and has the rear sway bar, should bolt in using the 260 parts less struts. Contact Whitehead Performance in Toronto as they are the Z car experts and are able to supply any needed parts and information .