IGNORED

Newbie from Alabama. . .

I just joined and figured I'd post an introduction thread.

My name is Brian and I am very much into cars. I mainly work on later model Mustangs (87+) but also generally enjoy anything with wheels. I have spent the past 4 years concentrating on my '88 Mustang LX coupe and finally got it to a point were I'm very happy with it. It still needs paint and a cage before I'm done, but after finally getting the new motor built, I'm very content with it.

I also own a 1973 240Z that was passed down to me from my grandfather (who was the original owner). Although it was always parked in his garage in Connecticut and he kept it up very well, it still is contaminated with road salt, therefore, has significant rust on the undercarriage. My initial goal for it is to get it running and assess the damage and what will be needed to get it road-worthy again.

I'm not sure how active I will be on this board at this time, but I'm sure my involvement will increase as I begin the work on my Z-car.

welcome, Brian!!

she looks great from the topside. wish i had your bumpers!!!

you've come to the right place, a lot of VERY knowledgeable people here, very willing to help you.

noticed the unusual treatment to the air filter box. never seen that before. do you know why the extra sheet metal?

noticed the unusual treatment to the air filter box. never seen that before. do you know why the extra sheet metal?

I'm not really sure of the purpose. My grandfather was a machinist by trade and did a lot of stuff in his own shop. I remember him telling me about some of the stuff he had done to the car when I was young, but I don't remember him telling me anything about the air cleaner cover.

Looks like a beauty - maybe you can show your progress on line.

I'll definitely do that. I'm usually good about taking pictures as I work and I generally will post pics of significant stuff (and some not so significant stuff. :D).

Welcome Brian,

I am just up the road in the Rocket City. I will be glad to help you if I can. I get down your way for work occasionally and I have spent more than a few hours at TGPR.

Good luck and keep us updated. I have attached a pic of my car.

Paul

post-10161-14150800718583_thumb.jpg

• 7 years later...

Well, it's been over 7 years now and I haven't done anything to the car aside from dropping the gas tank and removing the rusted fuel pump.

I was really hoping to be able to put some time into this project, but it just doesn't look like I'll ever get to it. I just have too many other cars in the works not to mention the ever-growing honey-do list around the house. Combine all of that with a growing family, the 240 is far from even being on the back-burner... it's not even on the stove. LOL

As much as I hate to sell it, it's just taking up too much room in my shop and is not worth the space if I'm never going to do anything with it. I'd rather it go to someone that will give it a chance at a new life.

What is the black spot/area on the hood?

They are vents that my grandfather had installed to help engine cooling in the summer. He has removable block-off plates on the bottom that he put on in the winter time.

What are the two black spots on the front edge of the hood?

Those are protective rubber bumpers that are at the places that get close to the bumper when the hood is open.

Are these current pictures? or the ones from 7 years ago?

They are pictures from 7 years ago.

Did you Post an Ad somewhere?

No, not yet. I'm still working on figuring out what condition I want it to be in before putting it up for sale. I'm thinking I would at least like to get the gas tank back in so I can get the motor running. Also, I'll need to take some current pictures (which would be much easier with a running car).