IGNORED

Right Size for an Air Compressor

Jimmy240Z

I found two compressors at Lowes today, both are by Kobalt. Both are 220 volt and they are oil lubricated. The larger is 7HP 60Gallon 13.3 SCFM@90 PSI and the price is $499.00. The smaller is 6HP(?) 45Gallon 11.? SCFM@90PSI and the price is $399.00. I'm thinking that I am goping to go for the bigger. The extra $100.00 is only a question at the time of purchase and by the time I start using it for all the body work etc. I am going to be glad for the extra capacity.

Jimmy

Hey Jimmy, have you commited yet? I went to Lowes today and looked at both. I think I have made up my mind too. I want the "bigger" of the two, it has a 100% duty cycle and also the recomendations on the sticker list sandblasters, die grinders and DA's as continuous use - I'm sure this is in thanks to the 100% duty cycle. Looks like a very good unit. Add a pressure regulator and line dryer and you'll be in buisness.

After a little research it looks like the Kobalt, U.S. General, DeVilbiss and Bel-Aire have a lot in common. They tend to use either the Century motor or the A.O. Smith motor. Tanks are similar, if not identical too. Some of the other (not exactly insugnificant) parts may be the only difference between the $400 U.S. General and the $1000+++ units from DeV & Bel Aire.

The Kobalt has a 3 year warranty and the support of a very large chain of stores, so I think I've made up my mind.

There are a lot of compressors out there and a lot of good info on theory and how to buy them... but I'm having to settle for Price + Output = Bang for the buck $. I think a little preventative maintenance ( regular oil changes, air filters and a water remover) will go a long way.

Nate

A couple of points I would like to make. It is pretty hard for the average hobbiest to lay out the amount of coin it takes to buy a compressor which suits their wants. What ever you buy, there is a bigger, better one beckoning you. Practicality and price, becomes the issue and will usually determine what you buy. The only reason I bought the one I did was, I needed it. At the time my brother and I were operating a small shop specializing in custom body & paint.

I agree with geezer. If you are only going to restore a Z and not in business. Unless money is no object , keep in mind how long a particular job is going to take. I could run away from the Son in law's unit if I ran the flat board sander continuously , or if I did the same with a DA sander. If I paused for 30 seconds or so the pump caught up and I continued on . Painting is an completely different issue . To paint it is a must not to stop like that and we didn't have any such problem . If I planned on doing body/paint work for a living or restoring several cars this is another issue. The Harbor Fright compressor for $400. is Plenty for a restoration or three , and then some. The other day I used my little compressor and cut some springs on my Z . Because of the small tanks and the hungry cutting tool , I had to stop three times for each coil to do the job. I wont be doing this again and I was not in a great hurry so it worked fine. It is a compressor for running nailers the kind carpenters use. Like Geezer, I bought it when I was using it for a different application and it had to be portable also. Now this is all that I need for my use , working on my cars. I was going to sell it and buy a larger one , but I don't see the point now. Gary