IGNORED

Largest wheels specificed by nissan/datsun for s30's

zedevan

Zedevan

Could you please tell us the size and style of rim you have purchased for your car?

I have just ordered a new set of 15x7 Superlites to be fitted with 205/60R 15 Michellin Energy MXV8 tyres. This is all fairly conservative, with the same (close enough) overall diameter as the tyres fitted to the standard rims.

I first enquired about this combination 3 1/2 years ago, so it has taken me a fair while to get around to doing it!!! I was expecting to stay as close to original as possible, but I have moved away from that idea and I am more keen to end up with a neat, clean, reliable car that I am happy to drive anywhere anytime.

All I have got to do is finish all this work and get driving!!

Regards, Jack

yeah if i had your car i'd have issues modifying it also! i was going to get superlites but thought i may as well pay the extra and get exactly what i want - the same rims as sulio (toecutter) but with black centres, and i waited over 150 days for them! i'll get some pictures up when i'm around in daylight to actully take some of them, and i can find a camera...i need to do something about the drums on the rear thats for sure!

they are 17x8.5 - 6 and 17x9.5 -19 from memory, so u can see why i'm thinking it might b cop attention and definately larger than what was stock on my car, although the rolling diameter is basically identical. I hear alot of people talking about a 2" larger in diameter rule but i can't find this anywhere on the vicroads website

so i'm hoping that somewhere in the world there is documentation of an s30 coming with 15x8.5's on the back! if not i'll hope that what cams certifies counts for something...or something like that!

zedevan,

The straight answer to your original question is:

10k x 14 rear and 8j x 14 front.

In Japan, you could order a new car ( initially a Fairlady Z432 or Z432-R - but subsequently any of the L-series engined Fairladies too ) and choose some special parts from both the 'normal' dealer options list, and also the 'Sports Option' lists. The above wheels were on the 'Sports Options' lists for S30-series Z models. This is all documented and proveable.

But - as Alfadog has pointed out - this will most likely be of little use against the power of an insurance company's lawyers, should you ever find yourself in a situation where you need to call on your 'proof'. Watch out that it doesn't come back and bite you on the arse after you have forgotten about it ( been there, done that........ :ermm: ).

Alan T.

thats very interesting, is there any more to that one sheet perhaps something like the front page with reference to the S30 / 240 / 260? Sorry to be a pain but that page could have been pulled out from anywhere if you pull it out of the car when pulled over.

thankyou alan, i was hoping you would see this thread :D i was going to pm you this weekend! although i do follow you regarding insurance company lawyers. i actully forgot to pay my insurance so received a letter saying i was no longer covered and hadn't been for a couple of weeks, so called them up saying it was a mistake etc and they told me it was a hollow threat and if i did have a crash they would of covered me still, but i think they are pulling my leg!

now there's just the issue of the "rule" that heaps of people go on about refering to 2" larger in diameter as those sizes don't help me diameter wise, although i think this rule must just be an easy way to interperate one of the other laws we're ment to follow and since most new cars dont come with as high a profile tyre the largest wheel diameter change they can normally handle is 2", or mayb its something that is in the "tyre and rim standards manual" that is refered to. if the 2" law is serious i might look into watanabes at some stage :D

do the Sports Options Catalog's come up for sale often on ebay? i agree with toecutter that more than a sheet that could of been pulled out of a wheel catalog etc is probably needed.

thanks for the information once again alan, having something to show a possibly stupid cop is what i was after! and knowing it wasn't a wishful lie!

sulio after searching around for a bit i've found complete pages that alan has scanned, although they aren't the highest resolutions!

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8402&page=2&highlight=Sports+Options+Catalog

it even has the flare pictures in there which should help with any arguement on them. i think we need to find outselves a copy!

zedevan and toecutter,

PM me with your direct e-mail addresses and I'll ping off a full scan of the November 1971 'Sports Option' leaflet for the HS30 model to you both.

Might take me a few days to chuck a couple of shovelfulls of coal in the back of the scanner and get it up to steam, but I will eventually get around to it.

Alan T.