IGNORED

Largest wheels specificed by nissan/datsun for s30's

zedevan

I'm wondering if there is any offical documentation that anyone has a link to or could scan that states the largest wheels specificed by nissan for our cars.

Having just recieved my new wheels after waiting ages i thought i should get some documentation so if i ever have an issue with authorites i'm not under a huge stress to try to find it!

Here is a link to state the laws i have to follow in the state i am in.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf

in short i'm not ment to have a wheel thats 25mm wider than the widest specified by nissan or 25mm wider in track.

My search's have come up with nothing although i remember previously asking the same question and someone replied stating that the widest wheels 240z's were allowed to race with in aus was 11"? I guess up to now i've just assumed that these wheels must fit within those laws as why else would nissan bother having flares on the cars from the factory? but that answer may not satisfy the police...so it would be great to have something i could print out and have in my car with me!

Thanks in advance

Why don't you jus type up an Officil looking statement on you computer, cut and paste a couple of Black & White nissan datsun logos and print it out then stuff in your service manual in your glove box.

I seriously doubt they would check to see if it's legitimate or not :laugh: LOL

~Z~

Pretty stringent requirements there. I can't speak for the S30 offerings in Oz, but here in the states the largest S30 rim was a 14x6 alloy. Which would limit you to a 7" wide wheel. Obviously, some of the JDM offerings had wider than that, but they may or may not apply to the Oz market, so I don't know if your state would recognize them as legit.

thanks for that, i'm not going to forge a document coz then i'm screwed if they aren't happy with it...my thoughts are it states

"the widest wheel speicified by the vechicle manufacturer for that model or vechicles series"

so there's nothing there about it only being an australian released car, and a 240zg is part of the series!

240zg came with cookie cutters too...

Race cars running 11"+ wide rears don't come into the picture with this law I understand.

Unfortunately we're screwed in this case.

I don't know of any wider than 6" for any model.

Maybe the best documentation you could obtain is the Homolgation Papers for the S-30?

You can purchase them from CAMS, might be a bit pricey though.

Personally, I would just do what you want to do and worry about the consequences later. Very few people in Vicroads would even know what a zed is.

mu2/5 c worth.

Personally I would be more worried about if - heaven forbid - you were in an accident. If your car is deemed "unroadworthy" your lovely insurance company may refuse to pay up.

I believe you can get them "engineered" for roadworthiness though?

my insurance company knows about the wheels and said they didn't care what size they were, although i know this means nothing as they can easily change their mind, but yeah since i already have the rims i am not that worried and it will take a few defects before i get sick of them i'm guessing!

did u ever have a problem with your wheels alfadog? or any of your car for that matter? i guess it looks so period correct they'd have trouble argueing with you

my nice 240zg model has only stock rims on it, so i assumed wrongly about them actually putting the flares on for a reason from the factory?

........ I can't speak for the S30 offerings in Oz, but here in the states the largest S30 rim was a 14x6 alloy....

Actually, here in the states, the S30 alloy is 14x5.5. They're on my car. They didn't become 14x6 until the 280zx. Doesn't answer zedevan's question but I wanted to clear up that point.

Actually, here in the states, the S30 alloy is 14x5.5. They're on my car. They didn't become 14x6 until the 280zx. Doesn't answer zedevan's question but I wanted to clear up that point.
Thanks for the clarification, Stephen. I know the S30 alloys were 5.5", but that fact always seems to slip my mind when I need it most.

Which reminds me that there was even a factory 5.5" steel wheel (for hubcaps) offered as a dealer-option clear back at the start, or at least by 1971. It was part number 40300-E4600, and the list price in 1971 was $13.50 per rim.

thanks for that, i'm not going to forge a document coz then i'm screwed if they aren't happy with it...my thoughts are it states

"the widest wheel speicified by the vechicle manufacturer for that model or vechicles series"

so there's nothing there about it only being an australian released car, and a 240zg is part of the series!

LOLROFL

Smart Man :laugh:

did u ever have a problem with your wheels alfadog? or any of your car for that matter? i guess it looks so period correct they'd have trouble argueing with you

Nope. I was pulled over a couple of times but I just told them what they needed to hear. The thing was much too loud too, but the "its an old car" seemed to work. Might not be so effective down in draconia victoria.

my nice 240zg model has only stock rims on it, so i assumed wrongly about them actually putting the flares on for a reason from the factory?

I'm sure Alan will correct me if I'm wrong, but hte 240ZG was a homoglation model. The flares were there so they were eligible to race with flares. But why not put wider wheels on the ZG? I have heard that the reason was Nissan figured enthusiasts would put their own choice of wheels on anyway. Not sure how true that story is but it sounds good.