IGNORED

280z vs 260z engine

mars23z

Hi I cant find a thread to answer this so I apologize if this is in a thread some where. I am swapping my L26 for a L28 while I rebuild the L26. The engine is from a 75 I am using my carbs (roundtops) instead of the EFI. What I am wondering is will the N42 with dished pistons potentially produce more power then the L26? I want to modify one of the engines but I am not sure if I should keep the original L26 stock and do the L28 or visa/versa. Iam going to run the L28 the way it is for a while and was just wondering what to expect from the set up I will use. Thanks Chris

Hi I cant find a thread to answer this so I apologize if this is in a thread some where. I am swapping my L26 for a L28 while I rebuild the L26. The engine is from a 75 I am using my carbs (roundtops) instead of the EFI. What I am wondering is will the N42 with dished pistons potentially produce more power then the L26?

Yes- the N42 head breaths better than the stock E88 on the L26, additionally the N42 has a far better combustion chamber design for performance. Add a few hundred extra cc's and the L28 will have significantly more torque and power.

I want to modify one of the engines but I am not sure if I should keep the original L26 stock and do the L28 or visa/versa.

That depends to a great extent on what you plan to use the car for - and how much money you want to spend, both in terms of the costs of modifications and in terms of the costs of depriciated market value when/if you ever try to resell the 260-Z.

Iam going to run the L28 the way it is for a while and was just wondering what to expect from the set up I will use. Thanks Chris

You can expect a significant boost in torque and hp... {if both engines are factory stock to begin with, and the L28 is a good running engine to begin with}

FWIW,

Carl B.

If an L-28 is something like 16% bigger than an L-24, where does the L-26 fit in tht equation.

The L24, L26 and L28 are all the same size.

The L26 has a longer stroke, that yields about 200 additional cc's in total displacement. The L24 and L26 block were the same when new, with the exception that the L26 had reliefs cut in the tops of the cylinder walls to allow larger diameter valves to be used with the same bore as the L24.

The L28 has a larger bore, in addition to the longer stroke of the L26. The larger bore yields about 200 additional cc's in total displacement over the L26.

FWIW,

Carl B.

carl, i gathered the same thing you did at first regarding the "size" of the engines. but after a simple calculation i realized he was talking an increase in displacement. the L28 has about 14.28% more displacement than the L24. at least i am guessing that is what he mean....

Jason