IGNORED

Filler Cap...

Ok, I am about to scream...

Every time that I corner hard to the left, I get gas dripping down the side of the car and fumes from hell in the cabin.

These caps can be sealed, right? As in, they are not vented?

Can you get a replacement cap? I am sure that mine is not sealing (obviously) and I was curious to anyone that has fixed this issue.

I am also getting fumes inside the cabin when the window is down, I have sealed the trunk hatch and now I will check the gaskets around the tail lights, the fuel smell is about to drive me nuts. I get used to it and when a passenger gets in I get that, "your car smells like gas..." line.

Good thing my brain cells are already toast.

Thanks for the direction on both the cap and the fumes....

Have a great night.

~Brian

New caps are available.

As for the fumes, are they fuel fumes, or exhaust fumes? Two totally different issues. Exhaust fumes require all the seals and such to be fresh and tight. But fuel fumes are from all the vent hoses, which run inside the car! I just finished doing mine last weekend. Replacing these hoses requires the tank be dropped. Other than that, not too tough.

Well Arne,

I am going to go with both, but I think that the most prevelant smell is fuel, I did smell exhaust with the window down, (especially if I get on it.)but the sealing of the hatch helped that, I just need to check the rest of the seals (tail light and such...) and see that they are not the normal cracked that I am used to seeing.

I'll look into a filler cap tomorrow, this should be interesting.

Where did you get the hoses from? Hopefully I can get this all addressed before the Canby event...

Thanks. I appreciate the help as always.

~Brian

The filler cap would be my last choice. Check the flat rubber gasket inside the cap and if it looks half way decent, it is probably not the culprit. My bet would be a vent hose. Fuel fumes are flat out dangerous and I suggest some urgency to resolving the problem.

Hi Brian (everyone))

To each his own.... but for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would replace, rather than eliminate the fuel vapor hoses that run into the cabin. It was a stop gap measure at best, to comply with the California ARB rules in effect in 1970. Wasn't even required in the other 49 States nor Canada at the time. You can't see any of them without taking the car apart either...

If you have fuel dripping down the side of the car, just behind the right rear wheel - you most likely need to replace the Fuel Filler Neck - the long, large rubber hose that connects the fuel filler to the fuel tank. They dry out and crack, when you put the nozzle of the gasoline pump in them, then lean on the pump handle.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I do want to eliminate the hoses, I really see no point... I need to search the forum and see what hoses to cap off or whatever.

The fuel is running up the hose and going past the cap upon a hard left. I tested this out yesterday in Target parking lot, luckily, the cop that was having lunch in said parking lot was busy eating or I may have had an issue there...

The fuel smell is only there if I have a window down and invite the neg pressure in. I plan on checking the hoses and gaskets (in the tail lights) this weekend.

I am about Z'd out this weekend...

After the seats I decided to tackle the fumes issue.

So, did my homework on the threads and sure enough, there was a breach in the lower portion of the rear quarters. I sealed those up, and that seems to have cured the exhaust smell...

The fuel smell was STILL THERE.

So I inspect that waste-of-time canister on the passenger side. Well there is a hose MISSING, MAYBE THAT'S IT.

As I can tell, Its the hose that goes back down to the tank on the drivers side.

Here is the question, I just put a hose on there and capped off the hose.

Is that gonna fly?

The hose is sealed, it is not on the tank, I am just wanting to make sure that I am not messing with air flow and such for fuel supply.

Thanks.....

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Brian (everyone))

To each his own.... but for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would replace, rather than eliminate the fuel vapor hoses that run into the cabin. It was a stop gap measure at best, to comply with the California ARB rules in effect in 1970. Wasn't even required in the other 49 States nor Canada at the time. You can't see any of them without taking the car apart either...

If you have fuel dripping down the side of the car, just behind the right rear wheel - you most likely need to replace the Fuel Filler Neck - the long, large rubber hose that connects the fuel filler to the fuel tank. They dry out and crack, when you put the nozzle of the gasoline pump in them, then lean on the pump handle.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hullo Carl B.

I have plenty of problems with aged and leaking hoses on my 1973 JDM Fairlady 240Z. Earlier today I checked for forums re these hoses etc and read Arne's posted on May 02, 2007. Following a good read I checked my Aussie parts CD and cannot find comparable part #'s to match those provided by Arne.

I then spent some considerable time draining tank and removing old hoses. Some had certainly been there since new!! All my hoses match the descriptions provided by Arne. I was going to start my search for replacements tomorrow (Monday), then I read your Post quoted above.

I imagine it will cost some $200 to $300 to replace them all, so I am interested in your comment that the Vent Tank and hoses can be dispensed with. That makes sense, but can you give me some guidance on how to do that please?

I will need to replace the fuel outlet and return hoses as I go. There is also a 6mm (1/4 inch) hose that links the top of Vent tank to front Cannister (described as an Air Supplier tube in my Workshop Manual). Should I retain this somehow??

Can I block off all the other outlets from the fuel tank? There is one on the left hand end of fuel tank (14mm outlet) which runs across the inside back of car to Vent Tank. There is another (17mm outlet) on the top rear of tank that comes inside car near right tail light assembly, then to Vent Tank. There is one (10mm Outlet on top front of fuel tank) that comes into car behind right rear wheel arch and onto Vent Tank. Finally there is a horseshoe shaped hose (19mm or 3/4" outlet) that connects Vent tank to neck of fuel filler.

Carl could you please advise how I might go about re-plumbing this "mess" so I end up with less cost and fewer potential leak areas??

Any comments/feedback that others can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Jack