IGNORED

Steering Rack bushings . . .

so your telling me i have to unbolt my steering rack AGAIN in order to put on the steering coupler? Please say it ain't so!! What if i put some soapy water on the old coupler and then some on the new coupler to squeez it out and back in? Only reason i ask is because it was a pain in the arse to put on the steering rack bushings. Splease, let me know what i should do. I'll be tackling this sunday night.

Did heating some water and putting the bushings in there help you with the steering rack? Or was i just making it to hard on myself? hgaha

(Also, did you notice a big difference in vibration with the poly coupler compared to the rubber?)

oh heck yes the boiling was the ONLY way i could get those buggers in! my car won't be driveable for at least another 2 months, so i will let you know when i get to driver her

as for the steering coupler, it's not squeezing it in that's the problem, it's getting the bolts back through! aye aye aye!

the other thing we were going to do was unbolt from the spline that's attached to the rod on the rack and slide it down (if that makes any sense)

but now that your steering rack bushings have molded to the steering rack, it SHOULD just be a matter of unbolting them and rebolting them when you're done. the hardest part for me was getting the bushings on all the way, so now that that's accomplished you may be able to just unbolt them and go

well, hopefully with some WD-40 and some elbow grease i can put the bolts back through the coupler with no trouble. If so i might just do what you were saying by unbolting the rod from the rack and pull it down to work with.

what r the Tq specs for the bolts on the coupler? and for the rod bolts by the rack?

Just incase, since i STILL don't ahve the FSM yet.

You guys are going to make me dial up my therapist reading this thread....

I don't remember much as to my first Z, BUT I REMEMBER THAT COUPLER WAS A PIA!!!!

Holy crap, it was a sonofabitch. Thank God the Z I have now had it done before I got it.

I am interested in any feedback that is on the coupler, I didn't know the boiling water trick and will use that upon doing the rack bushings... (if they need it, I have not really checked...)

Have a safe Cinco De Mayo all, good luck to De la hoya, I can't wait for the fight.

~Brian

When I did the rack I had more of a problem those bushing than the coupler. I thought I had the wrong ones and bought a different set only to find out I had the right set to being with...LOL

The coupler was done without to much of a hassel and with the rack bolted up. And don't think that even if there is eight holes in that thing that they all will work. I had the coupler in only to have to pull it out and move the sleves (sp) over one hole to get everything to bolt up.

I'd love to hear your results in feel after you finish the steering coupler. I decided against changing it because I thought the damping of the rubber would be preferred. Please let me know your first thoughts. Much harsher?

When I changed mine out I also changed the front springs and shocks. Added a ST swaybar. along with the bushings. the only thing I have not changed out is the lower control arm bushings and ball joints but thats coming.

The first run around the block was like a different car I like the feel. Yes I do feel more of the road but not so much that I mind.

My 76 is all stock and I can't wait to upgrade the bushing on it as well.

Not a problem.

The poly bushing does bring a lot of the road feel to your hands, But I do like the overall feel the steering feels tight not as loose as it did.

All this work was done to my 75. And my 76 feels loose/ sloppy but then it is old..LOL and needs a list of things.

I would guess that the stock rubber bushing would give up to 1/2 in play at the steering wheel.

I'll post results on sunday afternoon. I'm going out for cinco de mayo so i won't be very . . . . uhh . . . cohearant (sp) hahaha Thanx for all the feedback guys.

To whoever cares . .

When i changed out the steering rack (to poly), the tie rod ends (new stock), LCA bushing (poly), and ball joints (new stock of course), and sway bar end links and bushings (poly), and TC rods (poly); the road feel has improved GREATLY!!! I will say that i drive on some pretty bad roads and sometimes it pisses me off becuz of how much the steering wheels shakes. BUT, when i'm on that smooth road going 70 . . . . she's right where she belongs.

Next will be the spindle pin replacement, then the rear LCA bushings (to poly), Mustash bar ( to poly), and diff mount (all aluminum or stock; haven't made up my mind). All done at the same time since I'll have it all out. I will report back on the final product.

(PS i still have stock springs and just stock replacement shocks. So this will be a good way of reviewing the differance in poly to rubber bushings.)