IGNORED

How the motor works?

jdm_sai

Do you think the 280z is a hard platform to work on?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the 280z is a hard platform to work on?

• yes
    • no
    • just need more time to learn more

I am a new to this and the search isn't that helpful. I want to say there should be a "NEWBIES READ HERE" in a tech section or "FAQ" about the z-cars for all the misconceptions a noobie might make. Maybe there is already one, but like I said, its very hard to get around.

I would like to see the basics of how the motor works, mainly on how to get more power (newbie mistakes) and how to get use to the Carbs setups. I know squat about the carbs and the motor itself. From looking around the site, it looks hard to even make and all motor setup and proper tuning (carbs has no "brains", so what's so hard). Maybe its just me and my little knowledge about carbs and the motor.

Basically, all the posts I've seen is still too hard to teach a newbie like me, or maybe the car is too out of my time-frame. Please help me get convinced the z-cars are a good platform to work on.

First off, welcome to the forum.

When you say it's very hard to get around, I wonder if you're aware of the search function contained within the forum?

It's very easy to use and will supply the answers to your questions.

Click on search and for example type in carbs or be more specific and type SU carbs. If the answer to your question isn't contained in the date returned then post a new thread requesting help on your problem,

Once again welcome, but help yourself to search initially.

Cheers

MOM

EFI is actually quite easy to get running. Don't tell many of the classic guys, but, I like the EFI system better than carbs. :) It did take some reading and understanding of how the system really works, but, once I knew the basics, it was quite simple.

My biggest form of advice is to replace all of the old hoses, filters, and the fuel injectors. Before installing the new injectors, make sure the system is clean and free of debris. My biggest problem was a faulty fuel pump which is located in the rear near the fuel tank.

Compared to modern EFI systems, the 280z is a breeze. I think I have an EFI manual somewhere around here. Send me a private message (click PM from my username) with your email address and I'll send it to you.

oh. like i said, i am a noobie. so, the 280z is an efi while the the 240z and 260z are carbs? my bad. i'll do more research using search. just answer this. Can you have efi and the itb? or does it have to be carbs for the itb?

oh. like i said, i am a noobie. so, the 280z is an efi while the the 240z and 260z are carbs? my bad. i'll do more research using search. just answer this. Can you have efi and the itb? or does it have to be carbs for the itb?

how do you close this tread?

This motor is the easiest little thing to learn on. It is so simple because it doesn't have the additional 30+ years of technology thrown at it. I sorta feel like I need to ask this, so dont get mad, but do you know how a combustion engine works? Like even the one in your daily driver?

The carbs though are tricky. I myself haven't learned how to tweak the carbs, but I have a buddy who is going to do that. Just reactions from people when I ask if they know how to do it, it is basically a your screwed and I am happy I never learned sorta look. They are supposed to be annoying, and tricky especially because they are dual carbs. You have to get both of them just right for the car to run great.

First thing is first, get a Haynes Manual for your ride. It is going to help you a LOT, teach you a lot, and lets you do everything yourself.

Then after that, replace all the hoses, filters, fluids.

What sort of condition is the car in? Got any photos?

If you are wanting power, it wont be that easy with carbs. All I can really think of is exhaust, but that is still minor. Most efficient route is triple carb it, or go electronic fuel ignition (EFI) and turbo the motor. You could even do either the efi or triple carb and get it stoked and bored. Depending on what you do you can go from the stock 2.8L all the way up to 3.2L.

Normthe12secdude turns in the 12s running a pair of SUs . To try and adjust a pair of SUs with out a uni-sen or some similar tool , to balance the two carbs is almost impossible to do right. If you are going to run with multiple carbs buy one , the best $25.00 you ever spent . From there it is a simple matter to adjust the SUs . Tec articles cover this step by step . If you cannot find the info , post another thread for how to info . Information . The first 3 years of z production had SUs the fourth year '73 and '74 had emission carbs that were not a good addition for the Z . But all were carbed engines . From '75 on all are injected , and are 280s . Gary

Red Dog007, i do know what goes on in the engine cycles. intake, compression, combustion/power, and exhaust. But since the 280z - which i now assume is efi - is so old and i am born in the age of efi cars all around, i don't quite know everything about the z-cars.

so what is it called if you ITB an 280z. cause i think ITB's look sick.