IGNORED

door panels

graham53

My masonite door panels are not restorable. I have looked and searched to find replacements without any luck. I think after a lot of work i have a pattern to cut my own. I will be making them out of sintra ( 1/8" pvc sheet material) I know someone that will be cutting this pattern on his cnc router. If any are interested i will keep you up to date on how it working.

A 260z.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I know this sounds questionable, but I used pop rivets on a restoration a few years back. I bought a strip of the fuzzy from a hot rod shop (Julians I believe) and cut it to fit. When the rivets are in place, there are kinda buried in the fuzzy stuff and out of sight. It worked great for me.

Hey Graham, I might be interested in the new door panel platforms also. Might be a good candidate for upholstering back to the original look.

Here it a rebuilt door panel using the pattern above. Seams folded and welded and a heat gun used to form the comppound curves. It is made out of sintra 1/8" pvc sheets. I will now cover the inside face with second skin and then the vinyl kit i bought.

David,

Im in awe!! Perfect solution to an otherwise expensive option of buying new door panels (AUS$300ea.!!).

To form the compound curves you laid the pvc sheet over the door, heated and applied pressure to form the curves?

Great Job!!

David;

Did you heat over an actual door in order to get the curves right?

Looks excellent, but as you pointed out those compound curves may be tricky without the "mold" of the actual door.

What about the "cut" lines that your pattern showed?

Was it difficult to close the space, and how did you "weld" those edges together?

Thanks for sharing this.

Enrique