IGNORED

I HATE people on Ebay...

gregs240z

I had a brilliant way to partially finance my 240z restoration project.

I work for a company who is a major vendor for a major grocery chain. The company I work for is in charge of all the computers for the division. We are responsible for deploying new computers and retiring the old ones. Through a contract the old computers are resold wholesale. I purchased a small quantity of used IBM laptops like R32,T23,R50,X22 and so on. The math says I'll get about a 300% profit, but I kinda doubt that... anyway.... I then clean them, upgrade the memory, put a factory OEM image on the hard drive, and thourghly test it for 24hours and then sell them on eBay. So far, I got my purchase price back, but its lots of time and work.

The problem:

I sold an R32 on Christmas day that went for almost double what its worth. I shipped it on the 26th scheduled to arrive in Detroit on the 28th. Two weeks later....This JERK in Detroit (nothing against Detroit) insists he never got the laptop! Why did he wait so long? I filed a claim with DHL. DHL claims it was delivered and initially denies the claim. DHL then asks for a signed affidavit from the seller to the receiver stating the receiver never got the product. The receiver refuses sign and fax the affidavit to DHL. He wants his money back. I refuse until DHL pays out the claim. DHL is denying the claim because he refuses to follow procedures........ Why can't something go smoothly?

Any thoughts? Has anyone had such terrible selling experiences as me? I have sold about 5 so far and I have about 25 more laptops.... Is it gonna be like this for the majority? Ebay seems to bring out the worst in people? All I get is a bunch of freaking crooks wanting to steal your bank account numbers , ebay ID, Identity, or all of the above..... WTF is wrong with people?

HELP!

Here is why the buyer doesn't want to cooperate-he wants a FREE computer.

Dr. Detroit purchased a laptop from you, for double what you expected (great for you, bad for him)

Dr. Detroit figured out that he "overpaid," and now wants money back.

It took two weeks for this person to figure out a plan to rip you off (it's ok, he thinks, 'cause you "ripped him off" first)

So, Mr. Dumbbutt decides to claim that he never got the package.

If he were to sign whatever paperwork, it would be found that he did get the package.

Good luck, and stick to your guns-you're in the right here.

The problem:

I sold an R32 on Christmas day that went for almost double what its worth. I shipped it on the 26th scheduled to arrive in Detroit on the 28th. Two weeks later....This JERK in Detroit (nothing against Detroit) insists he never got the laptop! Why did he wait so long? I filed a claim with DHL. DHL claims it was delivered and initially denies the claim. DHL then asks for a signed affidavit from the seller to the receiver stating the receiver never got the product. The receiver refuses sign and fax the affidavit to DHL. He wants his money back. I refuse until DHL pays out the claim. DHL is denying the claim because he refuses to follow procedures........

HELP!

Quesion: Does DHL show a signature for receipt, or did they simply leave it on a doorstep with a driver's note to that effect? If the buyer or an agent of the buyer (family member, co-worker etc.) signed, there is proof of delivery. If DHL noted "package left at screen door" or the like, then DHL may have some responsibility. You may even be able to check for the signature online.

Suggestion: When I ship something sold on ebay, I too retain the tracking number, and follow it to it's destination. When the shipping company shows delivery, I immediately send the buyer an email saying something to the effect of "I see your item was delivered today...hope you're pleased. If you're so inclined, please leave feedback." Just an idea.

Gary S.

Any thoughts? Has anyone had such terrible selling experiences as me? I have sold about 5 so far and I have about 25 more laptops.... Is it gonna be like this for the majority? Ebay seems to bring out the worst in people? All I get is a bunch of freaking crooks wanting to steal your bank account numbers , ebay ID, Identity, or all of the above..... WTF is wrong with people?

I've had many good experiences on eBay, and a couple of bad ones. Anywhere you go in this world, you will eventually run into someone that either can't be satisfied or is out to pick your pocket, so I guess eBay is no different.

One thing you might do is either 1) offer, or 2) require, shipping insurance. If you offer and they don't pay for it, then it's not your problem. If you offer and they do pay for it, then there is a lot more recourse in terms of filing a claim.

Good luck.

if the buyer does not want to cooperate, then he shouldn't get his money back. period. if he wants to play the game that he never got the item even though it was signed for, but he's unwilling to sign a note saying that, then he can take the loss.

anyway, most shipping companies keep a digital copy of the signature given at delivery. they do that to protect themselves in instances like this. my advice is keep doing what you're doing. as long as you are thorough and don't leave any loose ends on your part, you're fully covered..

Quesion: Does DHL show a signature for receipt, or did they simply leave it on a doorstep with a driver's note to that effect? If the buyer or an agent of the buyer (family member, co-worker etc.) signed, there is proof of delivery. If DHL noted "package left at screen door" or the like, then DHL may have some responsibility. You may even be able to check for the signature online.

Suggestion: When I ship something sold on ebay, I too retain the tracking number, and follow it to it's destination. When the shipping company shows delivery, I immediately send the buyer an email saying something to the effect of "I see your item was delivered today...hope you're pleased. If you're so inclined, please leave feedback." Just an idea.

Gary S.

DHL does not provide signatures with residential delivery. I have a suspicion DHL left the package unsigned. Which leaves DHL responsible...

your suggestion of sending a follow up email is an excellent idea! It would also go that extra step to ensure customer satisfaction.... Hopefully.

according to DHL they want an affidavit to deter people from filing false claims. wow... what an original concept? DHL is great at customer service but sometimes i wonder....

I don't know if its ignorance or translation why he won't cooperate. English must not be his native language as he can't spell or assemble a properly structured sentence.

Here is why the buyer doesn't want to cooperate-he wants a FREE computer.

Dr. Detroit purchased a laptop from you, for double what you expected (great for you, bad for him)

Dr. Detroit figured out that he "overpaid," and now wants money back.

It took two weeks for this person to figure out a plan to rip you off (it's ok, he thinks, 'cause you "ripped him off" first)

So, Mr. Dumbbutt decides to claim that he never got the package.

If he were to sign whatever paperwork, it would be found that he did get the package.

Good luck, and stick to your guns-you're in the right here.

Ditto David! This is Mr. Detroit (he's not smart enough to be a Dr.) plans almost as if they had been broadcast. It's an ages old scam, "I never got it!" therefore "I should get my money back!"

Gary S.

Gary's first paragraph is very important here.

If you shipped it with INSURANCE, then DHL is REQUIRED to obtain a signature. Check the little print, "Left at Door" does not apply if it has been insured.

If on the other hand you are considering the basic insurance on the shipment as "Insurance" then you did NOT insure it.

Insurance on the package is separate from the insurance they offer on their shipment, again check the little print.

Keep copies of all the e-mails and PRINT them out. You will need these when the buyer goes to his credit card company and refuses the charges on the basis of "fraud". Paypal (if that is what you used, and more than likely is due to it's ease of use) will simply deduct the amount from your balance FIRST, then try to work something out. You need ample documentation of what you and DHL have offered to the buyer to resolve and prove his claim in order to refund him his money. That he refuses to do so, can be considered damning but not necessarily admission of guilt. However, the credit card company may not refund him his money on the basis of not cooperating...again, read the little print.

The biggest problem you have is that Paypal will first take the money from YOU, and then see about resolution. Unfortunately, since they require a checking account linked to the merchant's account they'll withdraw it out of there if you zero your Paypal balance.

If on the other hand, he sent a check or money order...tell him that without signing the DHL form...no refund, and even after he signs the form, it's based on what DHL will pay out. You might also hint at DHL looking into fraudulent activities of this sort and prosecuting them.

FWIW

Enrique

I deal with ebay a lot. I usually get about 1 out of 40 people that is a jack@$$ and is a pain to deal with. Recently I am selling a lot of my stuff before I move and I have it say "must pay within 24 hours" but some people don't care. they are like "Can I wait a week, I want the bill to go on my next months credit card bill" AFTER the auciton.

Like others have said, always REQUIRED a SIGNATURE and use a tracking number.

I had a guy send me a hard drive once, in a damn paper envelope! I was pretty damn stupefied as I had bought hard drives before on ebay. I e-mailed him and he apologized and he said send it back and he would send me a new one. I sent it back and waited ... waited ... e-mailed ... finally got a reply back, "Oh, it's on it's way, just wait" ... waited. Then finally e-mailed. He then said, "I sent it, it must have been lost in the mail" (I have had this happen (even with a tracking number). Finally after a few more days I ask for a refund from Paypal. They refuse because they have a tracking number that says i received the hard drive. Doesn't matter the damn thing went through the mail in envelope! To top it off the "Buyer Protection" is only good for 45 days. So you can't do anything after that point. I figure the guy must have done the same thing to about 20 other people at the same time. Funny part was he had 100% feedback with over 150 feedback and then right after I bought my hard drive got about 10 negative feedback before he was shut down. There are people scamming on both ends ...