IGNORED

z car paint code gallery update

mperdue

I'm about ready to update the Datsun Z Paint Code Gallery on zhome.com http://zhome.com/History/ZColorGallary/index.html

I still need 216 White, 304 Gold Metallic (may have one coming - waiting for email), 306 Silver Metallic, 362 Dark Purple Metallic, and 517 Beige - all 260Z/280Z colors. Better pics of ones already in the gallery are welcome too. Photos of Z's with original paint preferred but good resprays will work too.

If you have one please attach it in this thread and I will add it with the other updates.

THanks.

Michael

I might if I had the all the info but I don't, nor do I have the literature in which to look it up. I discussed this a little with Alan a year or 2 ago and came to the conclusion that it's quite complicated and the info may not all be there. Plus to make it legit I'd need to find JDM examples of vehicles painted with those codes and to make it similar to the current page a set of japanese paint chips. I don't speak, type or read japanese so making those requests would be next to impossible. Plus I've had to make a lot of requests for pics and done a fair amount of searchign just to populate this gallery - and it's still not finished after several years of fiddling with it.

Then what about the other markets?? I have a set of Datsun paint chips for Aus imports '71 and '72 but it doesn't specify model application.

So to summarize, if I had all the info and pics it'd be a piece of cake and I'd probably go for it.

One last thing, I think there's some chance that the codes I'm still missing (at this point 216, 304, 306, 362) were 2+2 options only. I don't know this for a fact but if true it could explain why I've had so much trouble finding them as there were less 2+2s built (or simply less desirable so owner's don't display them as much on the web). I know many car companies have certain sets of colors available for different body styles and nissan may have done this with the 280Zs.

I agree. To put up colors without a total certainty probably isn't a good idea. Its hard to say what a color is after 30 years, a respray, a 'slight' variation by brand etc. also.

Any info or original colors I run across I will surely forward to you. I hope everyone else does the same.

Zak

Did 362 Dark Purple Metallic ever come on stateside cars? I never knew about it. My 78Z is supposed to be 611 Wine Red Metallic which is really a beautiful color, the swatch for it on the page does not do it justice. There is a lady here in San Diego that has one painted that color, she shows at the West Coast Nationals, it gives me motivation to get mine back to proper color and conditions...then the need of $$$ brings me back to reality. Michael great job on the the Zhome paint page.

Did 362 Dark Purple Metallic ever come on stateside cars? I never knew about it. My 78Z is supposed to be 611 Wine Red Metallic which is really a beautiful color, the swatch for it on the page does not do it justice. There is a lady here in San Diego that has one painted that color, she shows at the West Coast Nationals, it gives me motivation to get mine back to proper color and conditions...then the need of $$$ brings me back to reality. Michael great job on the the Zhome paint page.
My son's '78 280Z was/is code 611.

DSC_5704.jpg