IGNORED

help with value

mitch0331

I have a 741 240Z and i've been thinking of selling. It's mostly original and in pretty good shape. Just over 40,000 original miles. 4 spd, working (70's aftermaket) A/C. been garaged most of it's life. It has a new radio and non original but 70's era wheels. here are some pictures. http://www.83rdlane.com/240z/

If anyone has suggestions of how I can gauge the value I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

Mitch,

I was pricing 240'z for nearly 5 months before I bought mine. Your's looks very nice, and depending on what the rust situation is here is what I ran across, the range is pretty broad.

Low of $5,500 (in very good condition, no rust, just needs small refurbishing)

High of $13,500

There were also those that were in the 25k+ range but they were Nissan restored cars. You know the car better than anyone, so you know the good and the bad. Look at past ebay auctions, classic car trader, and presently for sale cars. There are much more experienced folks here than me however that can give you additional advice. Remember, the best time to sell your car is when you don't have to.

Good luck,

Randy

THat is a nice looking car. I would check out ebay and other online auctions to see what is selling and how much they are going for. Perhaps you can get someone on this board to buy it. Why dont you update your profile so we can see where you are...good luck

Will need more information, check out prone rust areas; Floor pans, rear rocker panels, inside of rear fenders, rear quarters, frame rails etc...

With that information if you can get Carl Beck to weigh in on the value he is a good source. You might want to email him, be sure you have all your history and current condition as well as photos in order. Jerry

When you think you have a price in mind, let me know. I am looking for car for a father and son lite restore project. Jerry Purcell

You can email me more pictures at;

jerrypurcell@verizon.net

Car looks very nice interior/exterior, but you really can help the value by getting that engine bay cleaned up! If everything else (including the areas Jerry mentioned) is solid (no rust), then you could start towards the high end of the price range Randy mentioned. Also, the more documentation you have about the car, the better the price in some cases as well. :classic:

there is minimal rust on the car which i will have repared shortly. the only two spots are at the bottom of the front fenders just behind the wheels. I purchased the car about 1 1/2 years ago and the previous owner owned it since 73. it was kept in a garage here in south Florida when not driven. i have replaced a few parts including the radiator, a/c compressor, battery, front bumper, sill plates, door gaskets, hatch strut, rv mirror and passenger door strap aside from giving it new paint.

I will try to get some underside pictures for you to see. I don't think it qualifies as a "lite restore", the only thing that i think needs to be done is the steering wheel spokes need to be repainted and the engine could be cleaned up a bit. if you looked at the picture of the engine and notice some grimey looking stuff (look at the front shock mounts) that is the original rust coating that was put on the car. it's gotten a bit dirty over they years.

I have a 1971 similar to yours. It was bought by my father new. Has a lot more miles but it's in very good condition..garaged. New paint in 1986, but will need another paint job soon. A few rust spots around rear wheel wells. Interior is nearly perfect. New AC.

I have it insured for $8500, with Hagerty(I highly recommend this type of insurance(saved about $400 annually compared to Nationwide). I am thinking of raising the value to $9500-$10,500. I woudn't sell it for a lot more though.

Probably worth more back East than it would be here out West, as it's easier to find un-rusted 240Zs out here. I bought a 60,000 mile '71 here in Oregon just a few months ago. Good, original rust-free cars out here are typically going for $8000-10,000 about now.

For the East coast, I agree that if the engine compartment were cleaned up and the rust you mentioned is repaired (and assuming that's all the rust there is) that it should sell in the higher end of the price range.

And my tip - cleaning the engine compartment is not only for value, but also for sales appeal. The engine compartment of mine is what convinced me to buy my car.

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=22842&cat=500&ppuser=8596