IGNORED

installing a window crank?

atomreflex

Now here's a question for "Atomreflex". I, being a car stereo installer, have removed so many door panels in my life time, I've lost count. But in the process of all those removels, I've only had the same problem as you when the window is too damn hard to roll up.

The question for you is......How hard is it to roll your windows up and down?? In my experience, you have to torque harder on the crank if the window assemble is out of alignment, needs to be greased, or even worse--needs to be replaced.

And obviously, too much torque usually means premature breakage of the handle, stripping of gears and plain 'ol malfunction of the whole assembly.

Dave.

you're right Dave. the problem was the window is out of alignment. and i'm sure that put a lot of pressure on it, which led up to the window crank snapping. so i'm sure it would happen again if i just stuck on a new window crank. does this mean that i just need to get new window seals? i figure the window glass should be okay?

i tried using a towel, which tore in several different places, and was unable to unhook the window crank from the door. i still have to try the bent J wire method..

what a mess!

...and to top it all off, it's been raining here! :surprised

That's odd. The clip usually comes off fairly easily. I hope you don't have one of those situations where some idiot previous owner super glued or JB welded the crank on. I've actually seen that before. As far as the window alignment goes, that can be adjusted provided that all of the parts are in tact. I've done the adjustment on my 810 but never on a Z but I'm sure the procedure is similar.

you're right Dave. the problem was the window is out of alignment. and i'm sure that put a lot of pressure on it, which led up to the window crank snapping. so i'm sure it would happen again if i just stuck on a new window crank. does this mean that i just need to get new window seals? i figure the window glass should be okay?

i tried using a towel, which tore in several different places, and was unable to unhook the window crank from the door. i still have to try the bent J wire method..

what a mess!

...and to top it all off, it's been raining here! :surprised

Rain, RAIN!!! you don't got rain. WEEEE got rain, wind storms. play the video here. Although it does'nt mention how bad it was all day yesterday. 80MPH winds, 800,000+ people without power, school closures, and lots of damage every where. http://www.king5.com/weather/

Anyways, I figured that was the culprite of your problems. and as for not getting the rest of the window crank off. try a few of these.........

1) break off as much of the handle as possible, with a pair of plyers or similar item. Pot metal does break easily and only likes to bend once before breaking.

2) once you have as much metal off the crank as possible, try a metal saw to open up a slot that can be pryed off of the crank itself.

3) Like Sblake01 said, I've never heard of them not coming off easy unless they were glued on or something. (which I have had to deal with) you'll have to break it off somehow and clean up for a new handle.

WHITE LITHIUM GREASE IS OUR FRIEND!! Grease the inner tracks, gears. pivot points and anything else that is a friction point that may bind.

I grease my tracks anytime I pull the door panel off for any reason.

Good luck,

Dave.

Use the bent wire mate,

Put a small screwdriver between the crank and the round plastic thingy that protects the vinyl door upholstery and slowly turn the crank until you see the retaining spring, then simply hook it out slooooowly to avoid it springing out and going who knows where.

Works EVERY time for me.

Rick.

:devious: :devious:

• 3 years later...

thanks for that info. I dont have an old broken handle to get off but still couldnt figure out how to get the new one on. I have the reverse problem: the window crank is the correct one per the black dragon catalog but it wont fit on the regulator shaft. the regulator came out of a 1978 280z 2+2. The crank will fit a regulator that came from a 78 coupe. anyone have any ideas?

mel402