lonetreesteve

Junkyard & "Out to Pasture" Zs

you know there was a similar z for sale in houston but all the windows were broken from the hurricane that went trough houston. it look almost exactly like that one. right down to the it was sunken into the ground. i offered him 400bux for it because i really needed a parts car asap!!! he look at me and said i need 2000!!! TWO THOUSAND!!! i said, really!?!?why??? was one of the first 240 to roll off the assembly lines in the US??? you have the original window sticker??? all he said was, well its a 71 240z they are rare...after that i just turned around and walked away... its probably still sitting there rusting away.

A few more Datsun pics...

The pic of the blue 280zx is a bit disturbing and left me wondering about the well being of the occupant(s). The B&W shots are suitable for framing!

Wow!!! Those last B&W photos are incredible. Could you e-mail full res versions to

s14silvia@comcast.net please?

I'll have to try to find them over the weekend. In the meantime, here are some non-Datsun junkyard and out to pasture sportscars:

post-6600-14150806658241_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150806658447_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150806658619_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150806658935_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150806659249_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150806659373_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150806659567_thumb.jpg

post-6600-1415080665968_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150806659796_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150806659949_thumb.jpg

That post makes me wheep (especially the Aston) :( ^ Amazing photos though!!! Reminds me of that show "Chasing Classic Cars" with Wayne Carini

Edited by five&dime

I was sad to see a 95% complete and definitely restorable 73 get sent to the crusher. It appeared to have a new gas tank, but had a big hole in it from the junyard guy's crowbar. Looked fixable to me. There's wasn't a dent on the entire body except for the one mangled front fender, and very little rust. Anyone looking for a 73 shell would have loved to find this one. I believe they also crushed a 98% complete 260Z with an L28 in it. What a waste. And the stupid Pick&Pull doesn't allow cameras. WTF!!!!

Why are you still alive; you didn't throw yourself into that crusher to save it? ;)

I'll have to try to find them over the weekend. In the meantime, here are some non-Datsun junkyard and out to pasture sportscars:

That last one looks like a fixer-upper.

Bryan, you didn't tell us Rolph totalled his 510 back in the day

BTW, my dad and I also pulled a bunch of parts from a damn nice 72 at our local yard. It was so sad to see that they ruined it placing it up on steel wheels under the floorboards :(

He got the doors, the rear bumper, rear hatch and some other misc. stuff.

Edited by five&dime

This so-called '69 240Z looks like it's listed for sale at $1,100.00 (need to click on the 'Project Cars' link and go to 1969 to find the price). Obviously not a '69 and not even a Series I car for that matter. It's either got to be a Series II '71 or an early Series III '72 car, judging by the rear hatch glass with vertical defogger. Looks like she's out to pasture with a lot of other old cars that are for sale.

http://www.classiccarssite.com/images/RJ/RJ69Z2DRHT.html

post-6600-14150806740575_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150806740854_thumb.jpg

post-6600-14150806741033_thumb.jpg

This little Z was rolling yesterday, today a pile of mangled flattened metal. Not even the vin or door plate was readable/locatable. Not that you can tell from the photo, but the sugar scoops are metal...

post-11908-14150807000512_thumb.jpeg

Hey OverdriveX!!

Used to live in Belton before moving up to CT. You "ain't lyin',"

that Gulf Coast salt air can eat up a car almost as fast as road

salt up does up here.

Wanted to comment on our mutual interests: we also have a

14-month-old yellow lab female we will be breeding in a few

months. She has nearly 40 champions in her background, show,

field trial, 6 best-in-shows, her grandpa was a natl. champion..

This so-called '69 240Z looks like it's listed for sale at $1,100.00 (need to click on the 'Project Cars' link and go to 1969 to find the price). Obviously not a '69 and not even a Series I car for that matter. It's either got to be a Series II '71 or an early Series III '72 car, judging by the rear hatch glass with vertical defogger. Looks like she's out to pasture with a lot of other old cars that are for sale.

http://www.classiccarssite.com/images/RJ/RJ69Z2DRHT.html

You got it, that's a later '71. The flow-thru air outlets on the quarters

started around VIN #21000 (2/71), while the vertical rear window defroster went thru about VIN #60000, going to horizontal around 1/72. Could be a very late '71 build~very early 72 reg, but very low probability.

Ever see a former Airborne/Ranger cry? I did when I saw all those pix of Z's

on the junkpile, and even more when I heard that a lot were crushed. Up

here in the Northeast a lot of those would still be on the road, and you

seldom find one of any condition, however poor, in a wrecking yard.....

You guys west of the Mississippi have got it made, wish I was back in TX....

All Z Best,..................Ranger Rick

Edited by Kathy & Rick

Hey all,

Up here in Ontario, good luck even finding any Z in a u-pull yard, and if happened to call or stop in on the right day, get what can, cause by the next day it will look like pirranhas got to it. Many yards already have a "secret" list of names and numbers to call if one happens to come in, getting on that list is tough.

Back in the mid 80's I "had" a 74 260 (kicking myself now) and the u-pull had a whole section for Z's, I was like a kid at Xmas, a supply of fusible links that seemed endless(had an electrical issue).

Anyways, seems you have to be quick up here.

Dan

This one looks too far gone..... Dan, Is this a typical example from what you have to choose from in Canada?

post-6600-14150808624285_thumb.jpg

Edited by lonetreesteve

Hey Steve, I want the "DATSUN" windshield tint strip!!! Hey Arne, cancel my order! LOL

Did you take that picture? Do you have a high res version of it? It would make a fun poster... I could take it out to the garage and threaten my Z, show it what happens to little Z's that don't behave... ;)

Hey Steve, I want the "DATSUN" windshield tint strip!!! Hey Arne, cancel my order! LOL

Did you take that picture? Do you have a high res version of it? It would make a fun poster... I could take it out to the garage and threaten my Z, show it what happens to little Z's that don't behave... ;)

No, I didn't take the picture. Here's where I found it: http://americandreamcars.com/1972240z100507.htm

Thanks... Is that a joke? $800? It would be fun to send a guy out there to inspect that thing just to see the report he would write.

Here's a junkyard 4 miles north of Denton, TX that has some complete Z-cars for sale including a 260Z G-nose:

http://www.ctcautoranch.com/Cars/Car%20Sub-Pages/Cars%20Datsun.html

Hey!! I just found this place myself a few weeks ago on my my OKC trip to pick up my most recent addition to my Z car family. They are right next to a drag strip also. Browse their site...they've got some REALLY cool old cars on their lot!! Too bad they were closed when I was by there...they are only open M-F I believe.