IGNORED

Junkyard & "Out to Pasture" Zs

lonetreesteve

:stupid: When I was living in Greeley, CO in 2002. I had 14 Z parked in my front yard (all of them given to me free)(there was a big push by state to clean-out old cars in backyards)(ten of them still listed with the world club and I still have the brass plates issued for them). The county came along and told me, I had to get insurance and plates on all of them. So I ended up stripping almost all of them and sending them to the junkyard in town. I tried to give them away to anyone in the local Z club. But never had anyone come and take them. I brought two of them with me when I moved back to NC. My house is still loaded with Z parts. I have gone to the traingle Z club and sold 6 sets of 14x7 and 2 sets of 15x7 rims off of those Z's. Just before I moved I was given a early 260Z with a lot of performance parts. I took what I could get in the truck and sent the rest to the junkyard. I only hope someone was able to strip them before the car crusher got them. We had a real good pick-and-pull yard in town. At one time they had over twenty Z's sitting on the lot. Wish we could have saved them all. You should have seen the u-haul, I got to drive back here.LOL

Edited by redneckz II

Judging from the license plates, this junkyard looks to be in California somewhere:

Steve,

The guy with those cars is trying to sell them again. He has an ebay ad for just the yellow one now, but it says he has over 30 cars and wants them all gone. His ebay ID is californiaxport and the ad says he is in Camarillo, CA. Here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240-Z-260-Z-280-Z-300-Zx-Acres-of-parts-cars_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6783QQihZ015QQitemZ250291836973QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I'm attaching the ad pictures this time for future reference.

-Mike

post-9102-14150804422071_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150804422233_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150804422437_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150804422529_thumb.jpg

Ok' date=' I found it. It was around Aug '07. This is the worst 'out to pasture' Z I have seen.

[url']http://www.hammondsplains.com/chester/index.htm

chesterz.jpg

Let's see, there's a nice grab handle on the passenger door, the pillar z badging, rear plate light...even the door panels might be good yet...there's almost always something worth saving in these poor old cars. Let them live on on other Z's! :cry:

I went to the yard nearby to pull a couple fuel pumps (and other bits-throttle body, afm, rubber boots...) and came across this interesting aftermarket addition to the engine.

Didn't really feel like getting underneath the cars after that...

Maybe after it cools down considerably and I am more sure that this one and all the little ones that were writhing about are gone...

I couldn't see the head, no idea what type of snake it is, and saw upon my exit a nice six foot molten snakeskin in the brush.

Moral of the story and quality of content for this thread:

You may get more than you bargained for when you start digging into a parts car.

Now that's really a coil spring! :D

Edited by Poindexter

There's a really small town near where I live in Indiana and for the longest time there was a 240Z parked next to the garage of one of the houses. It was in absolutely horrible shape. I had thought about seeing if I could buy it was really too far gone. Serious rust, glass all busted out, interior completely rotted. I saw it being hauled off on the back of a flatbed one day. The really strange thing was...it was a right hand drive car. I wish I had taken a picture.

Steve

Steve,

The guy with those cars is trying to sell them again. He has an ebay ad for just the yellow one now, but it says he has over 30 cars and wants them all gone. His ebay ID is californiaxport and the ad says he is in Camarillo, CA. Here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240-Z-260-Z-280-Z-300-Zx-Acres-of-parts-cars_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6783QQihZ015QQitemZ250291836973QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I'm attaching the ad pictures this time for future reference.

-Mike

Very interesting, Mike. Now it looks like someone asked the seller how much it would take to buy all all 30 cars. The seller's response: $8,000.00. Considering these are California cars, that is an excellent price. The buyer just needs to have a lot of room to store the cars.

Steve,

I saw that as well and did the math, that's like $266/car for 30 cars. If only....

I asked him about early cars (series I) and he replied that he has the shell of 69 and wants $3500 for it. Can you believe that price!? :rolleyes: For a shell...no way, all the value of a low VIN is gone at this point...it will NEVER be a numbers matching car again. I pretty much told him this and am just waiting on his reply.

Very interesting, Mike. Now it looks like someone asked the seller how much it would take to buy all all 30 cars. The seller's response: $8,000.00. Considering these are California cars, that is an excellent price. The buyer just needs to have a lot of room to store the cars.

I've got 7 acres but getting them to Indiana might cost a bit. :D

Steve

Steve,

I saw that as well and did the math, that's like $266/car for 30 cars. If only....

I asked him about early cars (series I) and he replied that he has the shell of 69 and wants $3500 for it. Can you believe that price!? :rolleyes: For a shell...no way, all the value of a low VIN is gone at this point...it will NEVER be a numbers matching car again. I pretty much told him this and am just waiting on his reply.

TexasZ,

Yes, definitely a bargain at $266.00 per car plus transportation. I wouldn't be surprised if someone local would buy all the cars for that price and resell them. I agree, with you, $3,500.00 is too much for just a '69 shell. However, I'll bet that since it's a Calif car that it probably doesn't have much rust and could be worth a good $2,500 plus.