IGNORED

Dogleg tranny question

Cethern

I'm planning on swapping out my auto for a 5spd in my 75 280 in the end I want to Auto-X and maybe some Time trails but the car is and will be driven on the street. Although I would like to go with a turbo but for now I stay N/A

This morning I'm off to the junk yard to pull the pedals and hard line for the clutch and few other thing like a bigger MC for when I go with bigger brakes.

Anyway I have some leads on trannys but the other day I found this listing in some 510 parts for a dogleg tranny. Would any of you have any imput on these I did see one post that talked about them.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/236860258.html

Thanks

Eric

The dogleg tranny in that ad wouldn't work right in a Z because it's tilted for the Z20 (naps-z) engine. You'd want the earlier one but I'm not sure I'd use that trans behind a 6 cylinder. I have one in my 64 320 Pickup which has a J16 4cyl. I just don't know how it would hold up behind a 6. Plus, it's shorter than a Z trans so it would require driveshaft and mounting modifications.

I had a dogleg tranny (from a '78 200SX) in my 510. People in the 510 world like that transmission because 1) it's a five speed and 2) it bolts up without requiring that the driveshaft be shortened.

Later I went to a ZX five-speed and it was a huge improvement....had to shorten the driveshaft to use it, but it was well worth it. Shorter throws are good!

Eric, There are dog legs and then there are dog legs.

The "Dog leg' for the 510 came from the 200SX, S10 77,78 A short tailshaft tranny built for a 2 liter in the 100~125 hp range

The dog Leg spoken of in reverence tones on this site reffers to the Nissan Competition 5 speed

Two legs of very different dogs.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys. After reading these posts and talking with Jeff at Rallye/Sport I'll pass and get a Z tranny.

Victor I was under the impression that the tranny for sale was a Nissan Comp tranny.

On a side note I picked up a pedal assy. and the hardline a 15/16 MC and some seats from a junk yard today.

The Z I got a lot of this from at first look seemed to be a 280 but with build date tag gone and it having a FI and not carbs had me. I now think it's a 240 maybe a 260 The head was a N42 it has bigger sway bars front and rear with the rear in front of the R200 and a few other goodies.

Once again thanks.

Eric