IGNORED

Dash Repair Process/Pictures

BD240Z

• 1 month later...

Well add my name to the list of successful dash repairs.

I followed Bruces instructions to the "T" and couldn't believe how nice it came out. I did my repair with the dash still in the car but with the windshield out. Not the best but it was workable.

Here's a couple things I found during my repair.

I drilled tiny holes at the ends of the cracks to check the crack from spreading.

Make sure you remove enough of the black dash material next to the crack. Mine was warped upward. I didn't cut it far enough back and when I started to feather out the filler I broke through immediately.

Make sure you have a thick enough layer of bumper repair over the crack. I sanded it too thin and when I pulled the car out in the sun it cracked again. I would try and leave at least 1/32" thickness over the crack and feather it out 2" or more on either side.

I'm still amazed at how good the dash looks and how easy it was to do. I keep looking at the dash and just can't believe how good it looks.

Thanks again Bruce!

Derek

• 4 weeks later...

Bruce, it has been well over a year since you have done your repair, any update? I am planning on following your process this weekend, but want to make sure that there isn't anything else I should know. I share the AZ sun and the damage it can cause!

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
Can anyone that's done this repair speak for its long term results? Definitley interested in this method but want to make sure it holds up. Thanks!

I know it's not long term but mines still holding up fine from January. I'll emphasize again that the SEM bumper repair has to be at least 1/32" thick over the crack. If not it will just crack again. I speak from experience.

Derek

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Someone wanted to know how it held up? I can tell you.........beautiful 'cause I now own the car that Bruce fixed. I didn't even know it had been done! Great job Bruce....just like the entire resto you did on the rest of the car. Guy

The bumper repair just looks like regular old epoxy to me.

That's surely due to this picture:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15045&d=1163612617

But I can assure you that it isn't "regular old epoxy", regardless of what the picture seems to portray. SEM Bumper repair, IS mixed from two halves, but after curing it does retain a rubber type feel to it and does bend to a degree.

"Regular old epoxy" and I presume you're referring to something such as JB Weld, or the like, cures HARD.

2¢

E