IGNORED

Question on Air Box sticker

ddezso

I just received the airbox pictured below. I purchased on ebay from this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270045999157&rd=1,1

(yeah it cost alot but still less than a refinished one from ZTherapy and it really is in perfect original condition - I hope)

My question is: The lone sticker on the top of the box seems to be in an odd location and it lacks the larger 'silver' sticker that shows the position of carb screws and such. Is this a match for an early series 1 air box? I assumed they all had the larger silver sticker as well....

While I'm at it I am excited by the progress in my engine compartment so I have posted a pre-purchase 'before' picture and a picture of it now for your enjoyment. I don't plan to pull the engine and properly repaint and such but for working around the edges I think it is coming along!

post-9919-14150798833237_thumb.jpg

post-9919-1415079883386_thumb.jpg

post-9919-14150798834399_thumb.jpg

post-9919-14150798835104_thumb.jpg

Hi Derek,

I think that you are correct. The housings without the manifold heat flap on the air horn, early cars, should have two decals. It would appear that your lone decal is probably original, something you would definitely want to keep, although its placement might not allow room for the larger silver tune up decal.

26th Z might have more definitive expertise if he chimes in, or Mike McGinnis at Bonzai Motorworks, www.zzxdatsun.com, would be a good source as he sells these decals.

Great catch on the original housing, and your car looks very nice.

Dan

Looking good Derek. Are those some new Ztherapy carbs I see on there or did you just refersh the old ones yourself? Even better question, how's it run?

Those are new ZTherapy carbs. Combine them with a tune up and valve adjustment and once she's warm she runs perfectly....

Still wondering - has anyone seen a box with the sticker placed like this? I use the attached pic as my guide for perfect super early Z(from kats)......

post-9919-14150798835692_thumb.jpg

post-9919-14150798835852_thumb.jpg

Hey Derek,

The engine bay looks nice, glad to hear she's running well also.

I've installed the two stickers on my air cleaner housing the same way you have it pictured from Kats. I looked at as many pictures as I could trying to get the consensus on where they were installed and I saw this configuration several times. Hopefully it's correct.

On the FE-2 stamp. I'm speculating here but it's not uncommon in manufacturing to have someone place a "stamp" on a part, an assembly or some other feature on the product to signify it has been inspected and accepted. The stamps are typically unique to an individual Inspector. However, since Deming had such a strong influence on the Japanese and he was against product inspection in general, who knows where it came from.

We would need to hear from other members who feel they have an original, unmolested 1970 air cleaner housing to see if they have something similiar. My housing didn't have any stickers on it.

Bruce

Derek,

I've done business, occasionally, with the seller of your filter housing and he seem to come up with some very nice NOS parts rarely seen anywhere else.

I believe him to be a very creditable seller, just my personal opinion, with a very good track record.

I just took a look at my copy of the early brouchure of the 240Z, the one with the green cover with quarter pillar emblem picture. Inside is a picture of the engine compartment showing the filter housing with no decals. your housing, if original, may be a very early one with one of the first decals placed on the housing. I would go to www.zzxdatsun.com and drop Mike McGinnis an email with pictures and questions he may answer for you. He is extremely knowledgable and a nice person to talk with. Just my 2 cents. Let us know what you find out.

Dan

Thanks Bruce - I am mostly trying to validate if this is truly an original unrestored item rather than a knock off with a poorly placed sticker.

Have you considered the possibility that it might be from a market other than the USA / Canada?

Early Japanese home-market ( L20A engined ) cars did not always have the silver sticker. They often had just the Tsuchiya filter info sticker, and the very earliest press and show cars had no stickers at all.

My feeling is that you might have purchased the combination of an NOS Japanese-market outer casing and the HLS30-U type back plate.

It doesn't seem out of the realms of possibility if you look at the seller's eBay user name..........

Food for thought?

Alan T.

For those of you who are curious here is the perspective from Mike at Banzai:

"Derek, I've had some time to ponder your air filter housing and I think it is a late 69 (11 or 12)or early 70 (1), US market, unit. I'm assuming that the 2 halves belong together. Having said that, the fitting for the air pump hose is present which would rule out Canada, UK, and most of the rest of the world. Why it has the one decal in the center, not sure. Important to remember that cars weren't manufactured to anything like the standards in force today. Maybe that day the line was out of the large silver one? FE-2, maybe a lot #? Mike "

Quote from: Original eBay posting:

The outer half of the housing is brand new, never used. The paint is beautiful, glossy and original. This piece has not been restored. In the pictures the outer half looks to be dented on the bottom but it is not.

The inner half of the housing is used. There might be one or two small scratches in the paint but it is still clean, glossy and original. There are no dents or oily smudge marks.

Quote from: Mike at Banzai

"Derek, I've had some time to ponder your air filter housing and I think it is a late 69 (11 or 12)or early 70 (1), US market, unit. I'm assuming that the 2 halves belong together."

Derek, I am assuming that Mike didn't know that the back plate was a used item as opposed to the front that is new. Therefore they are not a matched set per se and the front cover could still be from another market.