IGNORED

Oddessey

JLPurcell

Hi Jerry,

Just read some of your comments. Thank you for your nice words about my roadster.

I was by Les's shop the other day. Looks like he is making progress getting your car stripped down. (I think it is yours as there are several orange early Z's at les's shop currently).

Best!

Ron

Most bumps in the road suck, but this oneand the ones in this thread are Verry interesting!

Will

Will, and all others which have found this thread interesting, I should be getting some pictures from Les soon. As the car progresses through the restoration I will keep all up to date on this thread and try to fill in some of the blanks of the "missing 30 years" in the odyssey of my 1972 Z.

Thank you for your story. It was well worth following as I have read through it today. I guess everyone has a story in them that relates to the challenges of their lives, but I enjoyed the read and can relate to some of the milestones, but from a very different perspective.

Regards, Jack

• 4 weeks later...

I received an update on the progress on the restoration from Les today. He said that the car is stripped and ready for the stripping and body work to begin. He is gathering all of the suspension parts for powder coat and building a correct late model B box 4 speed transmission. He is getting ready to detail the engine, (no need for rebuild it is fresh). He was asking if I wanted the smog equipment put back on the car.:ermm: I have mixed feeling on that, please share you thoughts. We are talking about coating the bottom of the car with a product similar to that used by Mercedes and then color matching it to the car. Not stock but I believe it will be an improvement. He promises photos soon, can’t wait!!! I will share them as soon as I get them.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, some pictures of the progress on the restoration. It is stripped and ready for the body shop. The good news is that the car is not so bad that we need to replace the complete rear quarters so I will be able to sale my NOS quarters to help pay for the restoration. We have been considering options on the underside of the car. At this point I believe that we are going to, after blasting the complete car, seal the bottom with an epoxy primer and color the bottom then apply rubberized undercoat. The wheel wells will be treated the same with the exception of body guard being applied and then painted to match the car, no undercoat. Thoughts??? The engine is fresh so it will just need to be painted and detailed, the 10 qt pan removed and replace with a stock oil pan, and a set of Z Therapy carbs. Your opinions welcome!

I am getting ready to list a few nice, some rare, Series 1 parts to help offset the cost of the restoration. I just have to find the time!!!

Take a look at the progress in the odyssey of my 1972 Z car!!!

post-7454-14150799829128_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150799829465_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150799829877_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150799830127_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150799830367_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150799830619_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150799830858_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150799831112_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150799831355_thumb.jpg

Thanks to this site I was able to find a set of original Black Pearl Mirrors for my restoration project.:love:

Mike Dunham (moonpup) came to the rescue. Mike responded to my post last week and supplied a set of mirrors. Mike shipped them directly to Classic Datsun Motorsports, Les received them today and reported that they were in great condition.:knockedou

The dealer had installed black pearl mirrors painted to macht the car along with American Racing wheels (libres), spook, and the white 240Z stripes. When it is finished it will be equipped just as it was upon delivery from the dealership.:classic:

• 1 month later...

I had a Creepy Crawler set, the one you actually would put the molds on the heated stove top. They later came out with the safety model that had its own oven or something. Kids have gotten soft. I wonder who the punk was that put them in the gas tank. Anyway, go on.