IGNORED

Oddessey

JLPurcell

• 4 weeks later...

I have surrendered to the fact that I can not get my “to-do” list complete before putting the Z to bed for the winter. To-do list:

1.have a set of original retractable seat belts restored to as new appearance and safety.

2. get all electrical systems working properly down to the seat belt warning system.

3. fix all electrical gremlins.

4. NOS or gather parts to rebuild an original working antenna.

5. acquire an original spare tire to go on my restored rim.

6. Fix transmission shift lever problem.

7. acquire appropriate NOS shift vinyl shift boot.

8. have set of luggage straps restored.

9. acquire new rear interior tail light panel (original NOS cracked upon installation).

10. acquire or restore a set of interior scuff plates (vinyl covered as apposed to the latter texture painted).

11. have vendor make appropriate replacement sticker for hazard light switch.

12. repair clock.

13. work on alignment and closure of doors, hood and hatch.

This is my initial list to perfection.

Where I am on the list is as follows:

1. clock is back from being upgraded to quartz movement by Ron at Zclocks (not installed)

2. Zed saver is restoring a set of luggage straps along with new hardware and some proper black chrome screws for the seats they will be shipped back this week.

3. I purchased a parts car for the seat belts (best original set I have seen) sent them to Ssnake Oyl Products for restoration (estimate of cost just arrived today ($781.95).

4. Purchased a NOS vinyl shift boot arrived but not installed.

5. removed all possible electrical parts from parts car to help with electrical gremlins.

6. collected shift levers and determined the shift problem and had a machine shop modify a correct shift lever to work complete and installed.

I will continue to gather parts and when spring arrives attempt to complete my to-do list prior to extending it.

After my to-do list I received an email from Les. Les follows this site and read my to-do list. Les, emailed me concerned that he had not met my expectations in some areas. This is not the case. I am anal-retentive when it comes to certain things and this project is one of them. I want to be very clear about this Les is the man! Seriously, Les was more than fair in our dealings and more than met my expectations. Everyone needs to understand that it is one thing to take a survivor and restore it but a whole different thing to take a basket case and put it back together. This car had been in different stages of disassembly for 30 years when he received it. Although I had tons of NOS parts not all of the basic nuts and bolts were there so to speak. So it is no reflection on Les when I post the continuation of work on my 1972. If not for Les and his offer to restore my 1972 when he saw it in the background while viewing photos of the 29 car, it would probably have been scraped by now. Thanks Les! Now put a smile on both our faces and get yourself and the 29 car back on the track.

7. acquire appropriate NOS shift vinyl shift boot.

Hi Jerry:

Since you have to remove the center console - to install the vinyl shift boot. - I'd suggest you order a new mount for the choke lever. This mount allows you to mount the choke lever directly to the transmission tunnel - rather than having it screwed to the plastic center console. Not only is it much stronger - it makes taking the center console out and putting it back in FAR easier.

EBay:

Datsun 240Z 1972/73 Choke Cable Lever Mounting Bracket

Item number: 281018241353

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240Z-1972-73-Choke-Cable-Lever-Mounting-Bracket-/281018241353?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416dfe1149&vxp=mtr

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hi Jerry:

Since you have to remove the center console - to install the vinyl shift boot. - I'd suggest you order a new mount for the choke lever. This mount allows you to mount the choke lever directly to the transmission tunnel - rather than having it screwed to the plastic center console. Not only is it much stronger - it makes taking the center console out and putting it back in FAR easier.

EBay:

Datsun 240Z 1972/73 Choke Cable Lever Mounting Bracket

Item number: 281018241353

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240Z-1972-73-Choke-Cable-Lever-Mounting-Bracket-/281018241353?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416dfe1149&vxp=mtr

FWIW,

Carl B.

This is the perfect example of why this site is so great! Thanks Carl. DONE!

Working on my to-do list today as well as put the Z to bed for the winter. I dropped off my seat belt mechanism cradle for media blast and powder coat today. Went over to my car storage and changed wheels on the Z (put stock set on for winter), took out the windshield washer bottle to drain dry and store for the winter, pulled battery, and put the car under cover and in a Car Jacket. First time out of the box for the Car Jacket seems to be a neat product, we will see! I now have all winter to get all of my goodies gathered up for spring. I just purchased another set of NOS rear quarter panels don’t need them anymore but could not pass them up.

After my to-do list I received an email from Les. Les follows this site and read my to-do list. Les, emailed me concerned that he had not met my expectations in some areas. This is not the case. I am anal-retentive when it comes to certain things and this project is one of them. I want to be very clear about this Les is the man! Seriously, Les was more than fair in our dealings and more than met my expectations. Everyone needs to understand that it is one thing to take a survivor and restore it but a whole different thing to take a basket case and put it back together. This car had been in different stages of disassembly for 30 years when he received it. Although I had tons of NOS parts not all of the basic nuts and bolts were there so to speak. So it is no reflection on Les when I post the continuation of work on my 1972. If not for Les and his offer to restore my 1972 when he saw it in the background while viewing photos of the 29 car, it would probably have been scraped by now. Thanks Les! Now put a smile on both our faces and get yourself and the 29 car back on the track.
:classic:

• 4 months later...

Pulled the Z out of the “Car Jacket” yesterday and as promised there was not even surface rust on the rotors.;) I changed the wheels and tires out and installed the battery with all of the correct new parts (tray from Banzai, and cover from Les). Installed reproduction voltage regulator cover from Banzai and then took it for a drive. I hope to chisel away at my list over the next few weeks. I am hoping to find the time to attend the Z meet in Nashville, IN on June 14 & 15; it is just a couple hours from Richmond. Hope to get a couple more things checked off my list today.:bulb:

What Brand and type was your original spare? I have a few up in the attic..

What did it cost to have the luggage straps restored - how did they turn out?

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

Carl, Thanks for the offer the original was spare was TOYO. I had Ssnake Oyl (Texas) do the seat belts (see thread), I had to do the zinc plated parts, electrical, and stiping and powdercoating of the cradles they are as new. The luggage straps I sent out to Zedsaver and the plating is good as well as the fasteners but I wish the webbing would have been replaced. I believe I sent out two good sets got one set back and I believe Norm charged $80.00. JLP

• 2 months later...

Carl, I'm sorry for not replying sooner, I missed this post. It was $80.00 and I supplied two nice set of straps. I ended up using the screws and metal hardware from the restored set and having the webbing replaced locally. The straps are now very nice and I just installed them today.