IGNORED

suspension upgrade help please

gator

Hey guys .. I am about to do a complete upgrade on my old wornout suspension on my 77 z and I cant remember where I saw some web sites that document this project. Can anyone tell me where I could find this info ..or offer me your own advice. I assume I should just plan to replace everything. What kind of issues am I likely to encounter ... What things can I easily do under some ramps and what do I need to get the front end guys to do? I am I pretty good mechanic ..but have not done much suspension work. This car has all original rubber I think.

Also .. how hard it is to change the u-joints. The clunking in the back end is getting louder and I need to get them changed. Can I do this myself easily enough?

Thanks All .. Bruce

Great resource for a step by step guide for a suspension and bushing swap:

Blue's Web Site

Blue covers everything you need to know and will likely encounter.

I just did the suspension and bushing swap on my 1972 240z. Take your time, read things two and three times, when in doubt, stop and do some research on the Internet, and have fun.

You might want to consider repainting everything underneath while you have it apart. After 29 years, most of the paint is gone and the metal is rusted.

Good luck.

Hey guys .. I am about to do a complete upgrade on my old wornout suspension on my 77 z and I cant remember where I saw some web sites that document this project. Can anyone tell me where I could find this info ..or offer me your own advice. I assume I should just plan to replace everything. What kind of issues am I likely to encounter ... What things can I easily do under some ramps and what do I need to get the front end guys to do? I am I pretty good mechanic ..but have not done much suspension work. This car has all original rubber I think.

Also .. how hard it is to change the u-joints. The clunking in the back end is getting louder and I need to get them changed. Can I do this myself easily enough?

Thanks All .. Bruce

u joints are easy to replace. Is there any one that can show you how to do it ? After you see one done you will see how easy it is. Be sure to grease them after you have them installed. They are lubed at the factory , but only enough to hold the little needle bearing in place . If you don't add additional grease the u joint will fail in short order. Don't over grease , just apply enough pressure where you see the rubber seals expand. If you push too much in and dislodge the seal they will throw grease and you will need to lube them often . As to the bushings and such. It depends on what you want to use the car for. If you want it for Auto X , or track use , use urethane bushings . For a street driver , I went completely with the OEM rubber . The rubber is quieter and not as stiff a ride,and they don't squeek. They allow for spirited driving and all . Use the search function on this web site , there is wealth of info there, Gary

Thanks Gary even though I am not racing this car .. I would like to set it up with urethane bushings etc ... just to have a car that would give me that feel. I dont intend on selling it and would like it to feel like a car that would cut up a corner.

Hey we should hook up some time. We are not far from one another. .. I would love to hear your z stories. I may be driving my z for a few mor months yet. How about I plan for a week for my boy and I to come down your way for a run?

Cheers ..Bruce Ü