IGNORED

electrical diagrams help

MC75Z

I have a 73,74,75, and a 77. My major problem with all of them is electrical. I have taken the diagrams and have had copies made and enlarged to about 3'x4' prints. Even with these there is so much I can't figure out I have to try and wire around the problem which sometimes works. My 77 has a good alt. and regulator but the charge thier putting out isn't going anywhere. The engin compartment flume had been replaced before I got it and put back together without a shunt or fusible links. There are just large gauge white wires connected to large gauge W/R wires. The relay bracket on the fender has nothing more than the regulator. The leads that should be going to the missing relays are capped off. My question is does anyone know where to get easy to read diagrams and easy to understand information for someone like myself who isn't electrically inclined. Thanks, MC75Z My e-mail is terimdc@yahoo.com.

mc75z,

The best place to get an electrical diagram is from a shop manual. The clymer and hayes manuals stink. Their information is inaccurate. If you can find a shop manual by Datsun or Nissan, they are much more accurate.

I have a 73,74,75, and a 77. My major problem with all of them is electrical. I have taken the diagrams and have had copies made and enlarged to about 3'x4' prints. Even with these there is so much I can't figure out I have to try and wire around the problem which sometimes works. My 77 has a good alt. and regulator but the charge thier putting out isn't going anywhere. The engin compartment flume had been replaced before I got it and put back together without a shunt or fusible links. There are just large gauge white wires connected to large gauge W/R wires. The relay bracket on the fender has nothing more than the regulator. The leads that should be going to the missing relays are capped off. My question is does anyone know where to get easy to read diagrams and easy to understand information for someone like myself who isn't electrically inclined. Thanks, MC75Z My e-mail is terimdc@yahoo.com.

If you claim that someone did a hack job on the wiring harness, what good would it do to be able to read a correct wiring diagram?

The wiring of the Z is fairly simple. The wiring diagram for my 87 Supra takes several pages of the FSM, and each page folds out. Before I forget, yes, the pages are printed double-sided.

I suggest that if indeed the harness was hacked, get a good one first. Trying to interpret someone else's mess probably won't do you much good.

By the way, what do you mean by the charge isn't going anywhere? Did you measure voltage at the battery while the car was running. Is your battery dying all of the time?

Maybe you should consider buying a copy of the Automotive Electrical Handbook as a primer.

• 1 year later...

Mike Cornish (MC75Z) won't be responding to any of this since he passed away late last year. I met Mike at one of the local shows about five years ago and would run into him at many others after. Nice guy, loved his cars and I was sad to see him go. His wife, member STAYZ75Z, or more recently known as GirlyGirl1Z still ocaisonally posts here.