IGNORED

Vibration in front end of unknown origin

zbane

Hello everyone!

I had the sh*t scared out of me the other day as I was driving home. Here is what happened.

Driving down the curvy mountainside road about 30mph, my car started vibrating (almost like when you are approaching a toll booth or hit a "sleeping policeman" on the side of the interstate, or a flat tire). Now, there are no places to pull over on the twisty 2 lane road, so I try to slow down, but the car doesn't respond quickly. I am trying to stear, but the wheel feels heavy (not like a car without power steering) and sluggish.

I let the go of the wheel once I hit a straight section to see what happens (normally the car would straighten out by itself, right?) but it doesn't. It just keeps on turning, so I straighten out. All the while, the car is vibrating, and I am very nervous. After about 45 seconds of this (maybe longer), I come across a driveway on the side of the road. I pull over and turn of the car. I am thinking that perhaps it's a flat tire (felt and sounded like one), if that were the case, I've got fix-a-flat.

The tires are all fine, but I smelled hot brake smell from the front right tire.

Confused and very worried, I got back in the car and continued with great trepidation on my way home, about 6 more miles.

No noise, no vibration, the steering still felt a little heavy/slushy/lazy, and wouldn't return to center with the gusto of other times (although, now it would, just a bit slow)

If a brake caliper where to stick in the out position, even partially, do you think it would cause symptoms like I experienced, or do you think it's more likely something with the power steering?

The car is sitting in the drive, and I am forced to drive the Mitsubishi.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I'm not terribly well equipped to check stuff, but I will do my best, if anyone has suggestions.

I do apologize for the rambling nature of the post.

Would (could) the caliper "reset" itself after full compression (to come to a stop) and act normally thereafter? I am planning on getting a brake job, I'd been hearing the warning 'chirps' that occur when pads are getting thin for a couple days.