IGNORED

1978 Datsun Farilady 280Z 2 Seater (S130) Oz Ebay

Mr Camouflage

You know in my Nissan S30 parts catalog there (RHD export version) there is talk of a U in the model code. However this does not equal USA but Right Hand Drive.

This taken from the book - so this might also be the same for the S130 models (Nissan on some models did follow some kind of standard)

G = 2+2/long wheelbase (this is the case on other Nissan model also) if Blank = 2 seater

R or H = Engine Type (talking about RHD Export S30 models hear) H = L24 R = L26

S30 = Car model

A = Auto if Blank = Manual

U = Right Hand Drive

Q or M Where Q = Europe M = Australia Blank = Other RHD country/spec

So if they followed the same pattern for the S130 then U might also = RHD. Can anyone shed some light on this matter?

US spec S30s were prefixed HLS30, RLS30, etc. H or R for the engine, L for left hand drive, S30 for... Well, I'm sure you can figure that one out. There was no U in the S30 line.

I think the US S130 prefixes were similar, but have not dug into them to be certain.

Ah, I knew I had read about the "U" somewhere.

Thanks to Alan T we raise the subject again....

*HLS30 = Export model "240Z" for Left Hand Drive markets ( notably USA / North American market ). Correctly termed "HLS30-U" by the factory.

The entire thread is located here.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4948&highlight=production+dates

Still doesn't clear up the S130 question......

The other interesting point is the VIN.

HS130 xxxxxxxxx.

Wasn't the H prefix reserved for export models?

FFS! NO!

Zedrally,

All of this was covered in a previous thread in which you were asking some of the same questions........

Here's your thread:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20983

I actually listed up ALL of the Japanese-market S130 models in that thread, as follows:

Japanese market S130-series full model lineup:

*S130S = Fairlady Z ( 1978~83 )

*S130 = Fairlady Z-L ( 1978~83 )

*S130J = Fairlady Z-T ( 1978~83 )

*GS130 = Fairlady Z-L 2by2 ( 1978~83 )

*GS130J = Fairlady Z-T 2by2 ( 1978~83 )

*GS130S = Fairlady Z 2by2 ( 1978~83 )

*HS130 = Fairlady 280Z-L ( 1978~81 )

*HS130J = Fairlady 280Z-T ( 1978~83 )

*HGS130 = Fairlady 280Z-L 2by2 ( 1978~81 )

*HGS130J = Fairlady 280Z-T 2by2 ( 1978~83 )

*KHS130JBC = Fairlady 280Z ( T-bar roof ) ( 1978~83 )

*KHGS130JBC = Fairlady 280Z 2by2 ( T-bar roof ) ( 1978~83 )

*KS130J = Fairlady Z ( T-bar roof ) ( 1980~83 )

*KGS130J = Fairlady Z 2by2 ( T-bar roof ) ( 1980~83 )

*S130ST = Fairlady Z Turbo ( 1982~83 )

*S130T = Fairlady Z-L Turbo ( 1982~83 )

*S130JTB = Fairlady Z-T Turbo ( 1982~83 )

*GS130T = Fairlady Z-L 2by2 Turbo ( 1982~83 )

*GS130JTB = Fairlady Z-T 2by2 Turbo ( 1982~83 )

*GS130ST = Fairlady Z 2by2 Turbo ( 1982~83 )

*KS130JTB = Fairlady Z Turbo ( T-bar roof ) ( 1982~83 )

*KGS130JTB = Fairlady Z Turbo 2by2 ( T-bar roof ) ( 1982~83 )

I also see a lot of confusion around Shatai Bango prefixes and suffixes on this thread. We should be a little bit more familiar with this stuff by now. It is frustrating that some people can't tell the difference between numbers and letters that were stamped on the cars, and numbers and letters that were not.

We should also always bear in mind that Nissan changed the meaning of some of the letters in the prefixes and suffixes ( such is the case with 'H' ) when they produced different models. The letters don't always stand for the same thing on those different models.

Alan T.

Hi Alan,

Knew your radar would be on and you would turn up.

Got the tea on and crumpets buttered?

Unfortunately you reply doesn't answer the question that I poised.

" Did the LHD S-130 have an L in it's model prefix"?

Call me stupid if you like, however I can't find any reference to LHD export models to the US in your reply, else it's become so completely buried in the thread that I've missed it.:stupid:

Arne suggests that the L is included, however is unsure.

Quote from your last post:

I actually listed up ALL of the Japanese-market S130 models in that thread, as follows:

Yes, you did, however it was the model prefix of the US model that I was querying in this thread, just a simple answer to the question such as a yes would have been sufficient.

Hope you don't have a fit after reading this, remember to take a aspirin and have a lay down if it all becomes to much.............:classic:

Zedrally,

I am perfectly calm.............. ( the Prozac is working wonders ).

I thought I made it quite clear which question I was answering in my reply ( The 'H' prefix one )? Any frustration you may have noticed in that reply would be due to the fact that you are asking questions in this thread that I attempted to answer for you in the other - and you don't seem to have paid attention. The 'H' prefix WAS used in the Japanese domestic S130 lineup, and wasn't 'reserved' exclusively for the Export models.

You asked a few other questions too ( unless you were just thinking aloud ) - notably about the 'L' prefix in LHD Export S130 models, and hopefully this scan from a factory S130 workshop manual might go some way to answer a few of them. See the attached file:

Cheers,

Alan T.

post-2116-14150797826553_thumb.jpg

Thanks Alan,

Prozac does a wonderful job, doesn't it!

The attachment answers the question perfectly.

It also show the inconsistancies within the Prefix system.

In future, I promise NOT to use the system used in one particular model to another model type.

Cheers from the Antipodies.

MOM

• 4 weeks later...

Had a look at the subject S130 coupe, bought by a Q club member. What a steal :laugh: Much better than average condition for a '78, main problem was it was up for sale dirty. Very little rust, its on the road and going well.