IGNORED

New book?

Gee

Gee,

The first book, Brian Long's, is new and I have not read it. I understand from Brian that it is a more comprehensive work spanning a longer period of time and covering more model history than his frst book. I plan to get it to add to my collection.

The second book, "Project X", is a tanslated version of the original NHK Project X Manga by Akira Yokoyama. The NHK Project X is also credited to chief producer Akira Imai. It is published in native Manga which reads right to left, or backwards to western publications. The text is in illustrated form similar to what westerners would call a comic book and describes the story of the 240Z in a dramatic theme with Yutaka Katayama as the hero of the plot. In my opinion, the illustrations are superb. The cast of characters include Yutaka Katayama, Yoshihiko Matsuo, Hitoshi Uemura, Hiroo Miyate, Teiichi Hara, Akio Yoshida, and Masataka Usami. Any knowledgable reader will recognize the story line and the charaters, however the accuracy of precise historical fact is doubtful. I have been told that Mr. K refered to the work as "the hollywood version". I found great delight with the book which became available last March and would recommend it, however I see no point in discussing any historical significance. The reader will pick up many points which may or may not have basis in historical fact. One thing I did enjoy was the reference to the Japanese Showa calendar which we commonly find on date stamps and other dated part references discussed in past threads here on this club site.

Z-Zulu.bmp

The second book, "Project X", is a tanslated version of the original NHK Project X Manga by Akira Yokoyama.

Surely Gee's link shows the original untranslated Japanese version? Are you getting it mixed up with the English translation version that was recently published? The cover is certainly quite different.

I have been told that Mr. K refered to the work as "the hollywood version".

That's interesting. Matsuo san described it to me in those exact same words. That's a coincidence isn't it?

Kind of a microcosm of S30-series Z authorship history going on there......... :classic:

Alan T.

Surely not! The product description lists the recent publication date in English. Your'e picking on me, Alan. :)

LOL

I wouldn't dare pick on you.

But seriously, the link shows a picture of the second Japanese edition from 2004 ( it was first published in 2003 ) which had the space on the lower front cover for the Carlos Ghosn mugshot slipover, which I use as the bullseye on my darts board.

I thought the English-language version has the picture of the SCCA-type race car on the front cover?

Yet another reason for a member-collective book, Chris has already warmed and cooled some ink, Alan...

Will

Don't look at me for a while. I'm busy moving home.

I don't know where anything is at the moment........ :(

Hi Gareth:

I have read the "Project X - 240-Z" book and there are several factors I really appreciated about it. I'll go so far as to say that personally, it's the best, most accurate and most complete "STORY" written about the creation of the Datsun 240-Z.

I'll agree with Chris in that we can question many of the individual facts, specific dates and other minute points... but in the end, in my opinion, the over-all "Story" is as concisely laid out and interesting to read as you will find.

If you are new to the Z Car, this should be the first or second book you read. (the other being the story of the Z Car as written by Katayama/Matsuo). If you are an old hand at this subject, have read everything else and done as much research as possible - you'll see lots of the very interesting tid-bits scattered around in many other places - drawn together here in a more comprehensive manor than ever before.

I said I appreciated several factors about the Project X- 240-Z book - so I'll list them in brief.

1. It's fun to read (just make sure you start at what we would consider the Rear Cover and as Chris mentioned read Right to Left;-)

2. It's a book about people and business so it puts the story in proper context as far as I am concerned.

3. It gives you a far more complete story about the Z Car than any previous book. From Concept, to Full Development, to Road Testing in the USA... followed up by the 25th Anniversary Celebration of the Z here in the USA 1995.

4. It gives you a good, if too brief insight to the workings, interpersonal relationships and politics of the Corporate Culture. (which many believe really destroyed Nissan Motors Ltd.)

5. It follows the origins of the Z Car from the correct starting point as far as I'm concerned- (Matsuo, Katayama and the Datsun 510) - with no mention of the old school roadsters, nor Mr. Goertz. Hurray!! These guys got it right!!

6. Being a story about people and business, it includes more about, more of, the people involved than any previous book or magazine article; and thus answers a lot of questions that readers of the previous books were left with. It also pulls together in one place many very interesting side notes not discussed in previous books about the Z.

If you don't have a copy - I'd encourage you to order a couple copies and save on the shipping costs. Read and keep one for yourself - and give a copy to another fellow Z Car lover.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

I have read the "Project X - 240-Z" book and there are several factors I really appreciated about it. I'll go so far as to say that personally, it's the best, most accurate and most complete "STORY" written about the creation of the Datsun 240-Z.

Carl,

Did you "read" the original Japanese issue, or the 'translated' English-language version? The link that Gee provided showed the Japanese issue I believe.

"240-Z" is not mentioned in the title, frontispiece, back cover or spine of the original Japanese issue - so I presume you must be quoting from another ( different ) publication.

Alan T.

Surely we are talking about TWO distinctly different books here?

The one I have is the original Japanese language version, and the other must be the 'translated' English language version. Both are by the same author, but the content ( like the cover ) appears to have been slightly tweaked to appeal to an English-speaking audience. Note the different covers and titles:

post-2116-14150797484299_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150797485081_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150797485587_thumb.jpg

Carl,

Did you "read" the original Japanese issue, or the 'translated' English-language version? The link that Gee provided showed the Japanese issue I believe.

"240-Z" is not mentioned in the title, frontispiece, back cover or spine of the original Japanese issue - so I presume you must be quoting from another ( different ) publication.

Alan T.

Hi Alan:

Yes - the English-language version. While the link to Amazon shows the Japanese cover - the description shows the language as English. The ISBN matches the English version I have - not the different ISBN for the Japanese version.

ISBN 1-56970-957-2 for the paperback.

So if anyone orders the book from Amazon - with the ISBN 1-56970-957-2, the'll get the English version.

FWIW,

Carl

The reason I posted the Amazon link to the Project X book was because it was the easiest photo I could find. I accidently stumbled across it when I typed "datsun" into the computer in my local Borders bookshop - as you can imagine I was a little stunned when it came up!

So has anyone ever bothered to compile a list of Z book over and above the usual 1 page mention in a "Best of Classic Cars" type compilation? Maybe Alan and Carl could join forces on this one?LOL

Thanks for your long and in-depth answers BTW, without you two CZC's would be a far less interesting/knowledgeable place.

Do you have an ISBN for the Katayama/Matsuo book Carl?

On another note, I see that the Z is featured in the latest Classic Cars Magazine. I found the "reasons to walk away" section interesting. Their comments could make the Z much more sought after in the UK!!

Gareth