IGNORED

A meri ken... Kenmeri? true or False?

g72s20

Here's one for the Japanese researchers out there!:geek:

I'll start this with the disclaimer that I have yet to see anything to back it up. I was asked had I heard anything to substantiate it. He brought the story back from a recent Nostalgia car show in Japan (Nagoya?)

I have a mate who has had a professional and hobby interest in Japanese Performance cars, mainly '60's to '70's....anyway he recently suggested the "Kenmeri" name for the 1973 C110 range actually pre-dates the "Ken & Mary" adv. campaign. The original idea was this model be released to the American market, or was to be an "American styled/flavored model". Someone or some Japanese article had led him to believe that "Kenmeri" was a Japanese spoken word form for "American". The Ken & Mary (from Kenmeri) connection was a development from within the company responsible for the advertising campaign.

I guess this really boils down to

"Kenmeri" was a Japanese spoken word form for "American".
is this in anyway true or possible?....Or somebodys phonetic word association flight of fancy (tell 'em they're dreamin' son!)

Well?....waddayareckon?!

Jim.

I doubt it. Japanese always say "America" or sometimes "beikoku." When referring to people, it's always "Nihonjin" (Japanese) and "gaijin" (foreigner). When referring to something made in America, they usually say "America-sei" (made in America). In the case of US Military, they usually use "heitai" (soldier), GI, or "gunjin" (person from the Base). The closest thing is an old word (no longer used) "meriken-ko" which referrs to American style wheat flour.

but does anyone know why the 240K was never released on the american market?

A certain member here would tell you its because Americans are fat and lazy and wouldn't appreciate a good car if they had the chance to buy one. LOL

The 240K or Skyline was not released into the American market because of "cannibalism." The car would have detracted and taken sales away from the "established" brands - 240Z, 510, etc. It's a well-known fact that as you saturate the market, you sell the same amount of cars, but the mix is different. Skyline would have taken away market share from both the Z and the 510 - something Nissan would not accept. All the Japanese car makers follow this line of thinking. Like Craig said, sorry to hijack this thread. maybe we should start a new one fo rthis subject . . . .

A certain member here would tell you its because Americans are fat and lazy and wouldn't appreciate a good car if they had the chance to buy one. LOL

Anybody who said anything like that ( and meant it ) would be worth throwing off the forum, don't you think Chris?

Here's one for the Japanese researchers out there!:geek:

I'm not Japanese ( I'm English ) but I'll give it a shot.

....anyway he recently suggested the "Kenmeri" name for the 1973 C110 range actually pre-dates the "Ken & Mary" adv. campaign.

The 'Ken & Mary' advertising campaign characters actually predate the C110 range. They were first used on the preceding C10 range, and were carried over onto the C110 ad campaigns in print, on TV commercials, and in longer films shown in cinemas.

The original idea was this model be released to the American market, or was to be an "American styled/flavored model".

Hold on there - that's TWO completely different scenarios in the same sentence.........

I don't think anybody could seriously claim that the C110 series Skyline was ever planned to be released in the USA market. I've certainly never even heard the slightest suggestion of such a plan. I can't see how that would ever have been seen as having a good chance of commercial success. You'd have to say that the Skyline would be neither fish nor fowl in the USA market, and probably would not have a stood much chance of bulk sales against the so-called 'compacts' of the USA manufacturers ( in my opinion ).

But "American styled / flavoured" is another matter altogether. I don't think there is any doubt that the image of the USA at that time was very attractive to the target customer base in Japan ( as it is now, for perhaps different reasons ). Nissan's ad campaigns certainly brought this angle to the fore - even if it was in a very 'Japanesque' way. The different actors / actresses / models who played the parts of the 'Ken & Mary' characters ( and there were many of them ) were purposely chosen to look half Japanese and half 'American' - and indeed several of them were just that.

The C110 Skyline was never nicknamed the 'Ken & Mary' Skyline ( or - in the vernacular - "Kenmeri" ) until well into its production, and when the ad campaign first started the characters' names were not even used. It was only when the ad campaign became hugely popular in its own right that the characters were developed and given names.

In just the same way, the C10 Skyline was never officially called the 'Hakosuka' until its nickname stuck, which was well after its launch.

I suspect that this whole tale is probably an urban myth that has grown from a small grain of truth, in the same way that a pearl grows from a grain of sand. Like most urban myths, it is difficult to prove as 'false' - simply because it sounds feasible and is at least partly self-perpetuating. Most of this seems to emanate from the coincidence that 'Kenmeri' sounds a little like (A)'MeriKen' if you stick your fingers in your ears and speak backwards - which is an urban myth-maker's dream.

I'm off to listen to my Led Zeppelin records played backwards at 78rpm now :eek: .

Alan T.

ps - I once worked with the daughter of one of the original 'Mary' actresses when I lived in Japan. :love:

Anybody who said anything like that ( and meant it ) would be worth throwing off the forum, don't you think Chris?

We'll never know will we. But thanks for the reply to the original topic of this thread. I just knew we'd hear from you.

post-5906-14150797319276_thumb.jpg

We'll never know will we.

Really? I thought you knew, and that was why you made the accusation.

But thanks for the reply to the original topic of this thread. I just knew we'd hear from you.

I found your contribution to the thread to be absolutely priceless too. Very constructive. Keep up the good work.

G'day all,

I'm not Japanese ( I'm English ) but I'll give it a shot.
Yair I know....I shoulda said researchers of Skyline trivia.....Hang on ! you're hav'n a lend of me aren'tcha Mr Thomas:finger: You know exactly wot I meant!!ROFL
Quote:

Originally Posted by g72s20

The original idea was this model be released to the American market, or was to be an "American styled/flavored model".

Hold on there - that's TWO completely different scenarios in the same sentence.........

Yair! That's why there is an "or" in the sentence, you know, one or t'other?

.....Well, I could not have hoped for more comprehensive and conclusive answers. Thanks Miles and Alan both:) Your last paragraph Alan summarises the whole thing perfectly.

Now about the limited edition deisel Fairlady Z...:cheeky: